Honored Contributor

Re: 100+ Pounds Of Cat Food In My Laundry Room.

@Annabellethecat66   

No, haven't heard the "Jack the Mouser" story. 

I have one of those big, green rolling garbage cans for dog food.  It now has a perfect round 1" drainage hole in the bottom.  They gnawed through that heavy plastic, then they looked for dessert by gnawing through the wall into the kitchen.  I though I'd never get rid of them.

I now keep dog food in a big metal can.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

We animal lovers always go above and beyond!!

So kind of the DD --who learned from her fabulous mom!!

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Thank you and your DD for taking care of these kitties.

A special star in your halo. ⭐️ 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

It's funny, most of the outside crew have been here a long time. The oldest is a calico. She has been around for at least 10 years. 80% of the rest are her kids and grandkids. DD has managed to nab a few and has gotten them spayed or neutered.

The calico is named Little Bit because she is a little bit of a cat.  We are not original in names. Their names are determined by their color, size etc. Cole is a black, the big orange one is Marmalade.  Marmalade's son is MJ, Marmalade Jr.

We need at 12 step cat program.  lol

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Your daughter and mine could become friends.

As all of you have heard over and over (sorry), my youngest daughter has been staying with me to make my life easier.

She went to the bird store and came home with 2 huge bags (must be at least 35 lbs each) of bird seed (shelled) and some Nija seed, new feeders (a new bird book for her) and a few other trinkets from there.

She's been stocking up on toilet paper and paper towels for me and 5 cases of Pepsi (real sugar).  I drink one in the morning instead of coffee but I'm very specific.

Now she knows about my habits and gets it before I even think about it.

I'm so terribly spoiled.  But...boo hoo...she leaves back to Denver tomorrow early afternoon.

I'm going to miss her terribly.  She is one of the kindest people I've ever known.  There aren't many people who are just kind, you know, but she truly is.

I could hop on a plane and stay with her (she even rented a house with an extra room for me).

Anyway, I know you know you are lucky to have such a wonderful daughter just as I know I'm lucky. Stay safe sweet girl, Annabellethecat.

@Annabellethecat66 

Be sure to put that bird seed in a sealed container.  My story:

I fed birds one winter and stored bird seed in a plastic bag under my kitchen sink.  Well, the seed has larva in it and they hatched.  They were crawling up my walls, they were in my kitchen drawers.  I'd clean them up and another batch came out.  I had to empty my whole kitchen, cupboards, drawers, and store them outside.  Then an exterminator sprayed my kitchen and the whole house around the ceilings (those worms turn into little moths like things).  I waited a couple days then cleaned the whole kitchen again, then reloaded.

The birds found somewhere else to eat from that point on.

It's not just mice you have to worry about.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo  Wow!  That's .....well...something.  Good grief!  You gave me something to think about.

It's sealed up pretty good.  We are already up to the second bag.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 You and your daughter are saints! I wish there were more people around like the two of you. Thank you for being nice to the outside cats that drop by....You are blessed.

Esteemed Contributor

Mice - This works..........Grandpa Gus's Potent Mouse Repellent

Bought on QVC last year - saw it  again last week on Q.

I have a large woodlot behind me and usually caught  1 - 3 mice per week for years. Bird seed in large w/lid containers in garage; but the smell of food has always been the attraction.   Have always kept  - - and still do - - 4 snap traps ready for them....and I've caught plenty of mice.

Bought Gus's product and this year have only caught 2 moles since last Dec.  Mice and chipmunks hate peppermint - garlic and some other spices.   With this 'kit' you get 2 tiny bags filled with dry spices and a bottle of 'refresher' liquid to squirt the bags from time to time.

I don't have the item number handy - saw this posting so thought I'd throw the info out to you all.   But I'm telling you - this stuff works!

They show::  put a bag in your BBQ grill - in your boat - under the hood of your car - wherever you don't want mice!

Great product..........

Respected Contributor

I feed a family of feral kitties. Most are the sons/daughters of a tortie that I've fed for a few years. Unfortunately, I'm unable to trap her. But one day...

I usually keep a couple of bags of large dry food and some wet food for them. They're able to get into my garage through a small opening and that's where I keep the dry food and water. I don't live in an area that gets snow so the kitties are okay. Some of them sleep in the garage, others don't.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sushismom  Try as we might we can't get the calico.  She is smart. She has managed to avoid our neighbors dogs since she was little. She will not come near a trap or any type of cage.

It's funny she teaches every kitten born here to climb the big tree behind the house, even if they are not her kittens.

The tree is about 15 feet from the porch where they hang out. You can look up in the tree and on the large branch, about 10 ft up, and there is Little Bit and a couple of little kittens sitting there. Watching them come down is entertaining but by darn they learn quick. She's a good Mom and Grandma.