Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nick Chavez - What he said RE: Conditioner

I will admit to being a “beauty care junkie.”  Of course, that includes hair care.  As an elder, my hair has become very dry and has lost volume.

I finally turned back to an original favorite, The Body Shop.  They offer high quality products.  After I wash my hair, I apply The Body Shop “Shea Butter Hair Mask for dry hair, prone to damage.”  It comes in a jar, and it is applied and left on for a few minutes, then rinsed.  It makes my hair amazingly soft and shiny.

Of all the brands I have tried, my DH will only use The Body Shop Shea Butter, which comes in a tub in different scents,

for his dry skin.  

Respected Contributor

@SandGirl   Chaz Dean says the same thing with WEN. Mid-shaft to ends only with conditioner.

Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@SandGirl 

i was surprised to hear that too and the first thing I thought of was WEN!

No Wonder I loose hair every time I use WEN steady for a while

Who knew!!!!!

@MalteseMomma  I am so happy to hear someone besides myself was listening!!! His hair is coming back in so nicely, he must know what he's doing!! 

Respected Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@SandGirl   Chaz Dean says the same thing with WEN. Mid-shaft to ends only with conditioner.

@1Professor  that is for LEAVE IN, when you cleanse twice you use it all over and massage into scalp if you go watch his videos he shows this is how you do it but yes for leave in it is mid shaft to end.

Nick was talking about conditioner you use in teh shower

Respected Contributor

Nick has always said that about the conditioner.

I don't necessarily use it on my scalp, but if I don't put conditioner all over my head from the top to the ends it's a mess. My hair is baby fine, thinning and super dry.  It's been that way for a gazillion years and I can only wash it every 3-4 days. All over conditioner is a must for me.

Honored Contributor

I have always heard and read that you should never use conditioner directly on your scalp because it blocks the hair follicles and it weighs the hair down and makes it greasy.  Most of the time the ends of the hair are what are dry, split and breaking. 

I never used to use daily rinse out conditioner because I have thin and fine hair.  I always used a spray leave-in conditioner.  However, I began using a regular conditioner everytime I shampoo but i only put it on my ends and then I still use a spray leave-in on the rest of my hair so I can get a comb through it.     

Honored Contributor

I never put conditioner on my scalp.... just as Nick said... two inches from my scalp.  I have other things I put directly on my scalp to help the scalp.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote

I think the clogged follicle idea is important now because some  women have started washing their hair less often. It used to be every day in the shower, now some only wash hair 2 or 3 times a week. 

From day one on Q, Nick has always preached that a "healthyclean scalp is healthy/clean hair". He once, on air, took issue with the WEN method of cleansing conditionersand oils that stayed on the scalp and would only washed away once a week, if that often. 

It's a great idea to clean your scalp while washing with one of the silicone scalp massagers to keep the scalp clean....feels so good, too.

@Shanus 

I don’t know where the idea that those who use WEN only cleanse once a week or less, (I think you mean) came from. Have noticed your making this comment before.

Please, I don’t care who uses Wen, who doesn’t, or what one uses.  But as a Wen user for  10 years, Never have I gone even close to a week without cleansing my hair, nor would I think of leaving oil on that long.

I know many Wen users, no one goes a week or more, without cleaning their hair and scalp, I’m 3-5 times a week depending.  I have never heard, or read Chaz say that, as a matter of fact he says he cleanses his daily.

I had bad medicine scalp pre Wen, HAD to scrub daily to be presentable.  Maybe you heard someone like me say I can go longer now without cleansing, but good gracious, not a week, maybe every other day.

I’m done now.  As I said, whoever, whatever, gives good results - great, Go for it!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@SloopJohnB 

No one said conditioner was related to thinning hair.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shaunac I just re-read the OP's 1st post, 2nd paragraph.  It is inferred for those that have thinning hair, they might want to try the suggestion of not applying conditioner all over their scalp.  Instead start at 2" from the scalp as the conditioner may block the hair follicles. Thus possibly contributing to thinning hair.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread