Honored Contributor

Re: Nick Chavez - What he said RE: Conditioner

@Shanus 

I'm going through some traction hair loss right now from wearing my hair up in a bun at night which I shopped doing a few months ago. The thing is, the hair doesn't even have to be pulled tight to cause hair loss. I never pulled it tight yet I'm losing hair in areas commonly seen in typical traction hair loss from ponytail wearing.

Honored Contributor

I have always applied conditioner mostly to the ends.  Sometimes I might even apply a little shampoo to the scalp area of my hair and then add conditioner to the the length.  That way you don't have conditioner weighing down that part of your hair where you really want some volume.  

I only actually shampoo once a week, using a cleansing conditioner on the other days that I wash.  I do think it is important to shampoo the scalp, but not necessairly every time you wash.  I do also do a clarifying shampoo to all my hair once a month before I color to get rid of any product buildup and because I have really hard water.  

There have been a few class action lawsuits against companies that sell only cleansing conditioners and advocate no shampoo including WEN and Deva.  

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@SandGirl I always use conditioner after I shampoo but never on my scalp.  It's mostly for the ends and to get out tangles and smooth my hair.

I've wondered about using conditioner as a cleanser like Wen.  I've seen his demonstrations where you have to use a lot of pumps of the product for cleansing and have read about people who have thinning hair after doing that for some time.

@haddon9   My opinion is that happened because the scalp was not clean and the follicles did get clogged. There were cleansing conditioners, stying creams, hair oils, etc. and no sulfates to clean the scalp and clarify. I do that once or twice a month since I use gel or mousse. Plenty of people use WEN without issue. I tried it and experience lots of hair in the drain.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  Yes, I love to get my scalp massaged when they wash it at the salon.  It never feels as good when I do it myself!  💆

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  Which treatment/conditioner do you use? Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@SandGirl  Hmm, interesting.  I always thought the reason was the conditioner directly on the scalp would contribute to making your hair oily or greasy faster.  I didn't realize it was related to thinning hair.  I will have to try that method.  

@SloopJohnB   Some hair thinning is expected after menapause and may continue as we get older. Male pattern baldness (from your mother's side, not father's) also plays a big part in hair thinning. 

There are also issues like kepping hair in rubber bnds and in a taught ponytail, even in a scrunchie, if too often..."stress hair loss", brushing while wet, hair dye, bleaching, etc. 

You can inherit the male pattern baldness gene from your father as well. It's not just from the mother's side. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus 

I'm going through some traction hair loss right now from wearing my hair up in a bun at night which I shopped doing a few months ago. The thing is, the hair doesn't even have to be pulled tight to cause hair loss. I never pulled it tight yet I'm losing hair in areas commonly seen in typical traction hair loss from ponytail wearing.

@SilleeMee   I was at the derm the other day for my "body check" and asked about that. I, too, was putting my hair up in a loose bun with silky scrunchie at night and sometimes while painting or cooking. Never had experince with all this having short hair most of my life. She said the same thing...even loosely done, it pulls on the hair while we toss during the night....even on a satin pillowcase. So, hair is down now at night. It bothers the heck out me since I'm a "hot sleeper". 

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@SilleeMee  Which treatment/conditioner do you use? Thank you!

@Janey2 

I use Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating Conditioner. Some places sell 2-oz trial sizes of this and their shampoo as well. I use them both.

15008_TeaTree_Conditioner_8.5oz_Tapered-Bottle_Straight.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus 

@SilleeMee   I was at the derm the other day for my "body check" and asked about that. I, too, was putting my hair up in a loose bun with silky scrunchie at night and sometimes while painting or cooking. Never had experince with all this having short hair most of my life. She said the same thing...even loosely done, it pulls on the hair while we toss during the night....even on a satin pillowcase. So, hair is down now at night. It bothers the heck out me since I'm a "hot sleeper". 

I can't wear my hair up at night, not even with a scrunchie.  I can't sleep.  Even tried braiding it once and that didn't work either.  I know my hairdresser really doesn't like that I wear a scrunchie when I'm out working in the yard, but I absolutely can't stand wearing my hair down on my neck and falling in my face then.  I used to wear my hair up a lot when I was younger either in a bun or my favorite method which was a French comb. and then there were the evil claw clamps which are so convenient but very damaging.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SandGirl 

i was surprised to hear that too and the first thing I thought of was WEN!

No Wonder I loose hair every time I use WEN steady for a while

Who knew!!!!!