Honored Contributor

Re: Nick Chavez - What he said RE: Conditioner

One thing I don't do is SCRUB my scalp...with anything. Seems when I did scrub using a shampoo brush, I saw more hair in the drain and in my brush. Now I go easy with just fingertip massaging, no fingernails digging in and I see less hair falling out...good thing! A hair saved today is a hair on my head tomorrow.

Valued Contributor

My big question which was not addressed is....is his thickening and plumping shampoo color safe?

Respected Contributor

I use conditioner about every 3rd or 4th time I shampoo.  I use it as my FIRST STEP and then shampoo it out.  That has always worked best for me.  I've been doing it for about 15-20 years.

Respected Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@SandGirl  Hmm, interesting.  I always thought the reason was the conditioner directly on the scalp would contribute to making your hair oily or greasy faster.  I didn't realize it was related to thinning hair.  I will have to try that method.  

@SloopJohnB   Some hair thinning is expected after menapause and may continue as we get older. Male pattern baldness (from your mother's side, not father's) also plays a big part in hair thinning. 

There are also issues like kepping hair in rubber bnds and in a taught ponytail, even in a scrunchie, if too often..."stress hair loss", brushing while wet, hair dye, bleaching, etc. 

You can inherit the male pattern baldness gene from your father as well. It's not just from the mother's side. 

Absolutely right.  This has proven true in my own family.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@SandGirl   Chaz Dean says the same thing with WEN. Mid-shaft to ends only with conditioner.

@1Professor   Aren't the WEN cleansers actually conditioners...Cleansing Conditioners?

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Shanus wrote

I think the clogged follicle idea is important now because some  women have started washing their hair less often. It used to be every day in the shower, now some only wash hair 2 or 3 times a week. 

From day one on Q, Nick has always preached that a "healthyclean scalp is healthy/clean hair". He once, on air, took issue with the WEN method of cleansing conditionersand oils that stayed on the scalp and would only washed away once a week, if that often. 

It's a great idea to clean your scalp while washing with one of the silicone scalp massagers to keep the scalp clean....feels so good, too.

@Shanus 

I don’t know where the idea that those who use WEN only cleanse once a week or less, (I think you mean) came from. Have noticed your making this comment before.

Please, I don’t care who uses Wen, who doesn’t, or what one uses.  But as a Wen user for  10 years, Never have I gone even close to a week without cleansing my hair, nor would I think of leaving oil on that long.

I know many Wen users, no one goes a week or more, without cleaning their hair and scalp, I’m 3-5 times a week depending.  I have never heard, or read Chaz say that, as a matter of fact he says he cleanses his daily.

I had bad medicine scalp pre Wen, HAD to scrub daily to be presentable.  Maybe you heard someone like me say I can go longer now without cleansing, but good gracious, not a week, maybe every other day.

I’m done now.  As I said, whoever, whatever, gives good results - great, Go for it!

@Drythe   When I used WEN years ago and watched the shows, Chaz would say the models' hair becomes so cleansed and conditioned after a oeriod of time, it repels dirt (!?!?) and the models can go a week without cleansing their hair. Each person has had different results with that product. It's a love/hate product.

Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@Shaunac I just re-read the OP's 1st post, 2nd paragraph.  It is inferred for those that have thinning hair, they might want to try the suggestion of not applying conditioner all over their scalp.  Instead start at 2" from the scalp as the conditioner may block the hair follicles. Thus possibly contributing to thinning hair.

@SloopJohnB   I assume if you have thinning hair, you'd be using a lighter conditioner. If any conditioner is rinsed off the scalp, follicles are not clogged. Also, a heavier conditioner applied on hair will weight it down, so thinning hair will lay flatter.

Honored Contributor

@sandylu wrote:

My big question which was not addressed is....is his thickening and plumping shampoo color safe?

@sandylu   If ingredients are listed, make sure it's sulfate free to be color safe.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  Gotcha.  But you realize I was only writing what the OP quoted that Nick Chavez said? But anyway, thank you.  😊

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Trusted Contributor

After reading the post about this I googled some information regarding putting conditioner on the scalp. It has nothing to to with thinning hair or hair loss.  It said:  "Never to apply a conditioner on your scalp, as that'll make the roots oilier than they naturally are. It's your hair that needs the most hydration and thus, should be conditioned from the mid until the ends of your hair."  I have been putting conditioner all over, but not anymore.