Respected Contributor

Nick Chavez - What he said RE: Conditioner

This morning I was watching the Beauty show with Mary Beth, Nick had his Plump and Thick volume kit he was presenting, during the presentation he was describing how to use the products and when he got to the conditioner he said "use it 2" from scalp to the ends" then said something to the sort "never use conditioner on your scalp, it will block the follicles, we shouldn't use conditoner on our scalps" 

I just found that interesting as I have always used conditioner all over - I know we all have diff. ways of cleansing our hair, I just thought I would mention this, maybe some of us would like to try his method that are experiencing some over all thinning.

Just thought I would share for those that were not watching this morning.

Honored Contributor

Re: Nick Chavez - What he said RE: Conditioner

Not every human being needs conditioner.  I have never ever in my many many years found one that did any good for my fine, oily, abundant hair.

It is shiny and healthy on it's on and needs to be washed every other day to not be limp.  And conditioner never touches it. 

Respected Contributor

@SandGirl  Hmm, interesting.  I always thought the reason was the conditioner directly on the scalp would contribute to making your hair oily or greasy faster.  I didn't realize it was related to thinning hair.  I will have to try that method.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

I checked the item to see if they used this mornings video for the product but they didn't it is a older video with him in the studio.

It just caught my attention when he said that.

His hair sure is growing back in nicely, so happy for Nick!!

Regular Contributor

Doing it that way would pretty much eliminate me from using conditioner at all since my hair is quite short.  It what he says is true, someone needs to develop a conditioner for short hair.  

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl I always use conditioner after I shampoo but never on my scalp.  It's mostly for the ends and to get out tangles and smooth my hair.

I've wondered about using conditioner as a cleanser like Wen.  I've seen his demonstrations where you have to use a lot of pumps of the product for cleansing and have read about people who have thinning hair after doing that for some time.

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

This morning I was watching the Beauty show with Mary Beth, Nick had his Plump and Thick volume kit he was presenting, during the presentation he was describing how to use the products and when he got to the conditioner he said "use it 2" from scalp to the ends" then said something to the sort "never use conditioner on your scalp, it will block the follicles, we shouldn't use conditoner on our scalps" 

I just found that interesting as I have always used conditioner all over - I know we all have diff. ways of cleansing our hair, I just thought I would mention this, maybe some of us would like to try his method that are experiencing some over all thinning.

Just thought I would share for those that were not watching this morning.

@SandGirl   Thanks for the reminder since I didn't see his presentation. When my hair andlayered, no way to condition like that. Now with longer and curly hair, it's recommended that all hair is deeply conditioned. 

I think the clogged follicle idea is important now because some  women have started washing their hair less often. It used to be every day in the shower, now some only wash hair 2 or 3 times a week. 

From day one on Q, Nick has always preached that a "healthyclean scalp is healthy/clean hair". He once, on air, took issue with the WEN method of cleansing conditionersand oils that stayed on the scalp and would only washed away once a week, if that often. 

It's a great idea to clean your scalp while washing with one of the silicone scalp massagers to keep the scalp clean....feels so good, too.

Honored Contributor

I think that depends on the type of conditioner used. The one I use is a hair and scalp treatment conditioner and the directions say to apply and leave it on the hair/scalp for two minutes. 

Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@SandGirl  Hmm, interesting.  I always thought the reason was the conditioner directly on the scalp would contribute to making your hair oily or greasy faster.  I didn't realize it was related to thinning hair.  I will have to try that method.  

@SloopJohnB   Some hair thinning is expected after menapause and may continue as we get older. Male pattern baldness (from your mother's side, not father's) also plays a big part in hair thinning. 

There are also issues like kepping hair in rubber bnds and in a taught ponytail, even in a scrunchie, if too often..."stress hair loss", brushing while wet, hair dye, bleaching, etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

Agree with @Sooner -- my hair is very thick and naturally shiny.  Using a conditioner makes my hair oily and flat.  I never use a conditioner on my hair.....

..... however, I use conditioner to shave my legs.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt