Regular Contributor

stay at home mom going back to work

After many years- I'm talking 18 years---I am a bit excited and quite scared or perhaps intimidated. It is in the childcare/ school setting. I figure that I have had alot of experience raising my own children and I feel it is time to do more with myself as my childrens lives are moving up and out. I am still relatively young and I feel that I need to start getting some of my own interests as I am home alone alot now. Do any of you have any advice for returning to work after so long? I am concerned that I get migraines quite frequently and if I do get employed I can no longer "take it easy" at home. But thats okay I'll deal with it.
Trusted Contributor

Re: stay at home mom going back to work

If you're looking for something to do, why don't you volunteer with an organization that interests you. That way you can do it when you want to and if you're not feeling well, you don't need to worry about taking a day off.
Esteemed Contributor

are you thinking part time....work in a supermarket.....you pretty much can say what kind of hours you want and how many days of the week you prefer....its easy work....you get to chat with all kinds of people.....then you go home and rest....

Good Luck .....

Respected Contributor

1. Are you going back because your family needs the money or because you are bored at home?

2. If money, then you should fix up the migraines first. I'm serious. I had them, my sister had them. They are debilitating and you will find the modern employer will be more likely to take a newbie who has sick days out back and terminate them with extreme prejudice, than put up with a health issue. ADA or sicks days nonwithstanding. And potentially mean glares from a supervisor and snide remarks from co-workers (she's out again?) aren't worth the stress.

GO get this taken care of. Besides, they lead to serious issues.

Birth control pills and chronic sinus problems are two frequent causes, both often not understood by regular physicians. Find a headache clinic.

3. If it's "bored" or you can't get rid of frequent migraines, the suggestion to do volunteer work is a good one. Organizations are always in need of strong hands and minds.

Valued Contributor

I am so excited for you. When you go to work, you get a whole new perspective on things. You feel so useful. Don't worry the housework will all get done, maybe your husband can start pitching in, wouldn't that be great. I think it's always good to go into the workforce and now you don't have to worry about putting your own kids in daycare as it sounds like they are grown up, pretty much. Best of luck to you. I have to agree with Campion though, and get something to help with the migranes. You certainly can't work when you have one and when you make a commitment to work, you want to keep it. Best of everything to you!!

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

My advice would be to ease into it, part time. That will take pressure off, and also give you time to see how you deal with the migraines.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

I went back to work after being home for 9 years. I went back to my career full time. It was a challenge. I love my job but it was hard to get back into the full time work routine.

If I could have done it slowly and gone back part time first, it would've been an easier adjustment. But in my career that wasn't possible. Anyway, I wish you luck in your new path. Smile

Honored Contributor

I spent 10 years at home with my children, I went back to work when they were both in school full time. However, I really wanted to work and I wanted to return the career I left. I actually started preparing for it a year in advance. And even then, the adustment from home to work was difficult. It sounds like you just want to fill up your time. I assume you have no current skills; that you haven't taken an college or business or vocational courses. So, a part time job in retail might work for you. However, if you think your chronic headaches might be a problem, don't start a job until you have them under control. Why start a job if you know in advance that you'll have a problem with attendance?

Honored Contributor

Realize that due to a new schedule and tension with a new situation, you will come home exhausted the first couple of weeks. Don't plan any evening activities as you'll just want to crash. It will get much better as you adjust. Just don't get discouraged at first. Breathe and have fun.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I would volunteer at first. Being currently employed/older it's hard to get a better job or full time job. So when you are older/having been out of the work force for 20 years it may take some time to get any job. I would start looking now. Try to get your headaches/migraines under control. I work with these issues, but deal with it and do not call in sick. If you don't need an income, take your time finding a job or take some classes. Good luck.