Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I think the positive type of modeling for avoiding unwanted behavior only goes so far. Even with young children, at some point, discipline or removal from the situation has to be brought in when they don't understand or conform to the rules.

It seems kids today have so many more 'issues' than in my day, with all kinds of conditions and syndromes that weren't understood back in the day. So perhaps this child has need of a diagnosis and the help that comes with it. 

But the bottom line is that in my opinion, the entire class should never suffer because one child has an issue or behavior problem especially when it involves their personal body and space being violated.

And I would applaud the teacher for being honest that my child wasn't the only one experiencing this. It would help me to understand that my child wasn't being singled out by this student, and that she seems to have a bigger problem. It would allow me to be more understanding and think the girl needed help.

I couldn't agree more that "the class shouldn't suffer", but "modeling" is only a small part of changing behaviors in preschool. Structuring the class environment to support not touching is not rocket science and teaching all the children where hands belong is a major part of getting along. 

I'm not sure I understand why it's helpful to any of the children to inform parents of complaints from other parents. 

Classroom attention to issues is a very useful way to determine whether children need "diagnosis". A child who has received instruction in a social skills area and is unable ( for whatever reason) to conform may need some sort of evaluation and the objective observations of an astute teacher can be an excellent starting point. 

You can call it objective observation, or evaluation or diagnosis, but this little girl has either a behavior problem or she has an issue that needs addressed medically or psychologically. But because some time has passed, it involved more than just one  student in the class, and parents and teacher have recognized it and attempted correction, more needs to be done.

I will state again that the entire class shouldn't be disrupted, held back, or re focused, or made uncomfortable, every time one student acts out inappropriately, regardless of the reason. I didn't appreciate it when I was a student, I didn't appreciate it when I was a mother of a student. It's time for classrooms to get back to NOT catering to the one or two disruptive students, at the expense of all the others that seem to fall within the ability to follow the rules or carry on appropriate behaviors, regardless of the reasons it is happening.

I get the sense that there may be a lot of hand wringing and concerned talk going on between parents and teacher, but in my opinion, if it were my child who was exhibiting this behavior, I would be glad to know it, and take the next steps to finding out what is at the root of this behavior. She needs some kind of intervention before she is outcast and bullied by the others, and the others need to be able to feel safe and secure and be able to focus on what they are there to learn. And yes, learning to deal with people like this, who do things you don't like, is a lesson in itself. One the parents and school could teach by showing some compassion and some action to get to the bottom of why this behavior continues. 

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

@violann I think the reason it was mentioned because the parent thought their child was being picked on or bullied by the girl.....

I'd think because if you DIDN'T inform parents of the real situation you'd be lible in at least civil court if something serious happens.  When children are being bullied, taunted or tormented by others, good grief, parents have the right to know what is going on.

The situation should be put right or the parents should take some sort of action or move their kids.  I wouldn't for a hot second expect parents to put up with this sort of behavior toward their child..  That is absurd.  Parents first role is to protect their child. 

Trusted Contributor

Or maybe she lives in a home where there are only adults and she is so lonely  she just wants someone to play with. Maybe the reason there hasn't been much done about it is that the teacher can see she just wants to play and it's not that big of deal. I would think if the teacher was perfessionaly trained it would be an easy fix .  When I hear words like " she keeps touching other children" ,those are words and adult would use.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I think the positive type of modeling for avoiding unwanted behavior only goes so far. Even with young children, at some point, discipline or removal from the situation has to be brought in when they don't understand or conform to the rules.

It seems kids today have so many more 'issues' than in my day, with all kinds of conditions and syndromes that weren't understood back in the day. So perhaps this child has need of a diagnosis and the help that comes with it. 

But the bottom line is that in my opinion, the entire class should never suffer because one child has an issue or behavior problem especially when it involves their personal body and space being violated.

And I would applaud the teacher for being honest that my child wasn't the only one experiencing this. It would help me to understand that my child wasn't being singled out by this student, and that she seems to have a bigger problem. It would allow me to be more understanding and think the girl needed help.

@MominohioAs a former teacher of 36 years, the problems are much the same as they've always been.  The difference is that we're in the "age of information".

Esteemed Contributor

I just wanted to make it clear that the teacher is very good and my Granddaughter LOVES her......I think it is a difficult situation since the parents don't seem to care.

Their faces were buried in their phones while 2 of the little girls were telling their daughter to STOP......loudly....... I saw it ......

You couldn't pay me to be a teacher in this day and age....

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma, I feel for your granddaughter. I am sure the parents are the problem. And that will be a problem, because children can't raise themselves. I really feel like the pre school needs to come up with a way to get these parents attention. However, I'm not sure what that would be.

I'm afraid this child will only get worse. I can't imagine how it would be, to have parents of my childrens peers having a problem with one of my childrens actions, and me just fluffing it off.

Frequent Contributor

Did you ever think maybe the little girl is handicapped? Or something along those lines? Did anyone bother to meet the parents? Do you know anything about the parents/child? Before you go deeming this little girl a monster, you should find out first. I mean seriously, you make her sound like a freak. They're little kids not adults touching each other!!!

Esteemed Contributor

It doesn't sound to me like she is calling the little girl a monster at all. Did you read the part where she said that her granddaughter didn't want to go to preschool anymore because of this little girl touching her? Even if the little girl had a disability, does that mean she should be touching the other kids? And if so, when does that need to stop?

She did say the parents were talked to, and didn't take it seriously, as they were on thier phones.

If it were my daughter, and she was in preschool, I wouldn't want someone trying to pick the designs off her shirt either. If that sounds mean so be it. If it were my child doing the touching, I would do my best to try to teach her not to do it.

Honored Contributor

If it is pre-school, the child is 3 or 4.  There isn't very much the teacher can do about this problem.  The child has no sense of personal space or and she cannot differentiate betwee "mine" and "yours".   Kids get those distinctions by the time they are three but that little girl obviously has not.  It's time for your grandaughter's parents to speak to the principal or the director of the pre-school.  No, they absolutely should not approach that child's parent's themselves.  No good will come of that.  Honestly, she's so young that I don't know how something like this would be handled.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreeThe childs parents (your granddaughter) should NOT  approach the girls parents (who's doing the touching)