Respected Contributor

oddest thing happened memorial day

as we all know, Monday was a federal holiday. 

so imagine my suprise when i hear the usps truck pull up across the street. 

I looked at my, hubby with a raised eyebrow, as confirming it was a "no mail" holiday,

we see a woman delivering a amazon package, dressed in tye-dye shirt and jeans.

Usually around here, if you're in the postal truck, you would have a uniform on. 

can't explain it. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: oddest thing happened memorial day

I also received an Amazon delivery via a USPS truck on Monday.  Of course, I get Sunday Amazon deliveries too.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kittyloo.  It appears the USPS is contractually obligated to deliver Amazon packages on holidays and Sundays.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I talked to someone that was new to delivering mail and she said you don't get a uniform until your probationary period is up. I think if you are just part-time you don't get one either which might be a lot of the ones that work on Sundays or holidays.

Respected Contributor

thanks for clearing that up. i appreciate the info. 

Honored Contributor

I often see USPS and UPS deliverying in casual clothes on Sundays and holidays. They always deliver overnights or special requests on those days.  I'm glad they can wear street clothes rather than uniforms....perhaps it's just a perk for working holiday or weekend.  It doesn't bother me in the least.

Honored Contributor

About a year or two I noticed the same thing...a USPS truck pulling up on a Sunday!  It was an Amazon delivery.

Around here Amazon has been delivering in white vans for several months now.

Respected Contributor

Re uniforms:  Our UPS people always wear uniforms, but our USPS (rural delivery) have never worn uniforms.

Respected Contributor

Around here - if you are in a USPS truck in a driving route they wear their own clothes - I rarely see anyone walking routes anymore but on walking routes I've seen carriers in their blue uniform shorts and shirt.

Honored Contributor

Usps delivers Express packages and Amazon packages on Sunday so they probably deliver them on holidays too.