Respected Contributor

Re: leaving kids while you go in to food store

I call the cops. It's against the law in my state to leave your children in the car.  It's called NEGLECT.  I have stayed next to the children until mom or dad comes out or the cops get there.

Respected Contributor

If you are afraid of angry parents, move your car to a place not so obvious.  Just keep an eye on it.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@tockerman None of you really know me, but if you did you'd shake your head and say, "Oh! Yes she would".  When I say I would have gone right into the the grocery store (after copying down the license plate) and gone over to the CS and asked that they made an announcement that someone reported there were children in car bla bla all under the age of 5.  Please go out and get them".

I swear to you I would have done that in a heart beat.  You hear all of the time about children dying in cars.  I could never live with myself if something happened to those children and I did nothing.

I believe in speaking up when I see a way that might prevent a tragedy.

@Annabellethecat66*******I did that too, only I gave the manager the number and asked them to make the call because I didn't have my phone with me.

Several years back, we had a mother who kept her child in her car while she worked in a day care!  One day the worst did happen and the child didn't survive.

Honored Contributor

19 states have laws about leaving children unattended in cars, www.kidsandcars.org:

California: V C Section 15620 Prohibition Against Unattended Child in Vehicle  Read the law

Connecticut: Sec 53-21a Leaving child unsupervised in place of public accommodation or vehicle  Read the law

Florida: FSS 316.6135 Leaving children unattended or unsupervised in motor vehicle  Read the law

Hawaii: 291C-121.5 Leaving a child unattended in a motor vehicle  Read the law

Illinois: Sec. 12 21.6. Endangering the life or health of a child  Read the law

Kentucky: 507.040 Manslaughter in the Second Degree  Read the law

Louisiana: RS 32:295.3 Leaving children unattended and unsupervised in motor vehicles  Read the law

Maryland: 5-801 Unattended Children  Read the law

Michigan: 750.135a.added Leaving child unattended in vehicle  Read the law

Missouri: Sec 568.052 Leaving a child unattended in a motor vehicle who causes an accident  Read the law

Nebraska: Revised 28-710 Child Protection Act  Read the law

Nevada: 202.575 Leaving child unattended in motor vehicle  Read the law

Oklahoma: Unattended Children in Motor Vehicle Safety Act  Read the law

Pennsylvania: 3701.1. Leaving an unattended child in a motor vehicle  Read the law

Rhode Island: 11-9-21. Leaving child unsupervised in place of public accommodation or vehicle  Read the law

Tennessee: 55-10-803. Offense of leaving child unattended in motor vehicle  Read the law

Texas: Sec. 22.10. Leaving a child in a vehicle  Read the law

Utah: 76-10-2202 Leaving a child unattended in a motor vehicle  Read the law

Washington: RCW 46.61.685 Leaving children unattended in standing vehicle with motor running  Read the law

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@tockerman wrote:

you are all right but i do not want to here it from people and by the time i got there they would have been at the car. my cell phone was dead so i could not call 911. the way people act today i would be afaid they might shoot me for getting in their business. i seen people fight at stop light and over things. so i will not get involved in anything. they had the window open halfway so they seemed ok to me. I would not do that. but others would.

Another reason to call 911 - or have the people in the store call them!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, they might LEGALLY be allowed to stay in the car in your state, but if they can't protect themselves, you'd be wise to bring them into the store to grab that gallon of milk.

"If you believe your children could safely exit the car, navigate a parking lot, avoid the potential danger from strangers, and find help, then you might be ready to test their behavior to make sure they are absolutely ready to do this task without you, Test it out while you’re able to observe them to be sure they are following the appropriate steps that you taught them."

Esteemed Contributor

I never did that, never would.

Agree with the person who said they would have the store announce it over the intercom but I would probably stay by the car or be watching, to make sure no one got the kids - I probably would call the store on my cellphone.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure this isn't the first time these kids were let alone in the car while the parent went to run an errand. The do gooders who would risk their own lives or make it worse for the kids in the car need to think twice before getting involved. These stores need to  have security patroling the parking lots to deter the parents from leaving their kids alone in the car.

Respected Contributor

I never ever left either one of my kids or either one of my grandkids in the car - EVER! Do these people not get it or what? Between the heat or the cold and the lurking weirdos - to me, you are just asking for trouble. Every summer you hear about children left and they die - it is not only sad but just plain stupid. Did I say STUPID!?! I seriously do not know what people are thinking? Kind of like the children that drown - let me see here - teach your kids how to swim and do not let them out of your sight when they are in the water!! (Just had to add that!).

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

Infuriating. I would have called the police. Equally (yes equally) bad are those who leave a pet in a car while they shop. Should be illegal.