Respected Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@Glitter51wrote:

That’s whats wrong with the world today!!! We need to get back to actually raising and disciplining our children. So many people wants to be their child’s “friend “ instead of being the parent.  Children need and want to be paid attention to. The world has gone crazy IMO.  

Exactly.  I stopped teaching because of the parents. 

@GSPgirl  My major career was in budget but after retiring I temped and later worked in a HS for 2 years to earn money to travel  (secretarial and later moved over to central offices).  I only made it 3 years.   The kids were what I'd expect and yet I had no problem with them - ALWAYS the parent(s).  That job was the hardest I ever had making the least amount of money.  

My best friend's mom was a teacher and later a guidance counselor when I was growing up.  She's now 90 and recently had a conversation with her and she said she loved teaching but quit when parents would come in and complain and the next day the kids were back in her class.  She said she and other teachers got little to no support from administration when suspensions were so easily overturned and she was never so glad that she'd been able to get in enough years and have the ability to retire/walk away.  

Honored Contributor

In Utah will kids be able to be left alone at home at any age? (no babysitters and the parents won't get in trouble)?

Esteemed Contributor

JMO but if you don’t have time to raise them then don’t have them. Being a good parent takes time,commitment & patience.

I invested a lot of time into raising my son. I kept him focused on school, self confidence,charity, values etc.As a result my son has grown into fine young man who makes me proud everyday.

Children don’t need to raise themselves. They need structure.They don’t need more friends. They need parents.

As parents we all make mistakes.But we owe it to our children to at least try to get it right.There are no redos.

Honored Contributor

I don’t know that term but I hope it means that the children will outside playing,learning to enjoy friendship and getting exercise.I think it would be a healthier lifestyle than in the house with computer or cell phone and no contact with nature.

Trusted Contributor

Good grief! “Free range parenting/helicopter parenting”;

Stop with all this dialectic diarrhea and just parent.

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick 

I can understand calling your dad every day or several times a day. It was just something my brother and I did, we spoke to my dad everyday until the week he passed away at 95.

You are still their child no matter your age

@bmorechick wrote:

i grew up in the city of Baltimore in the 60s and 70s.  While we were allowed to play in the alley or a street over, but we were never allowed to roam. My mom was way ahead of her time and always worried about someone snatching us. We never walked to school...she drove us to and picked us up. Or a close neighbor would. Today, when I go home to see my family, it makes my blood run cold when I see kids running free. Their parents would be the first ones on TV boo hooing about their kidnapped child...well where were you?

I was a helicopter parent and have 3 very independent adult children. Even at 62, my 91 year old dad says hey call me when you get home so I know you made it. He does the same with my sisters and they live around the corner.  To me, yes it can be exhausting to be a helicopter parent but I would never forgive myself if something happened to one of my children when they were small due to my negligence.  

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

That we are using the words “ free-range parenting” says we’ve already lost the fight.

Honored Contributor

Re: 'free-range parenting'

[ Edited ]

“Free-range parenting” is just a modern term for irresponsible or lazy parenting. It is letting your kids run loose without boundaries, or very wide ones, if any. We had to be home when the street lights came on..and I mean inside the house. During the day we were never allowed to just run free without supervision; my mom had to know where we were going to be.....I raised all my daughters the same way. My oldest granddaughters, who are trips and age 16, are being allowed much more freedom than makes me comfortable, but my daughter and SIL have to make the rules now, not me.

Trusted Contributor

Parents just need to be parents.  Teach their children manners, respect and discipline them when they need it.  Enough with the parents as friends malarkey.

Honored Contributor

Back in the day when there were laws, and people pretty much thought they should be enforced, parents were EXPECTED to raise children that were law abiding, good citizens.

Now days, if you raise hooligans, so what.  They are victims.  Don't punish them, they aren't responsible.  It's not their fault.  Or the parent's fault. . .