Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would you love your child . . .

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Would you do that to your sister?  Your brother?  Your parent. 

Just because you could?

Just answer Yes or No.

I wouldn't.

I believe Lilac has told her daughter over and over that she loves her.  If those are the last words spoken then that's that.

I can't wait to see your answers.  Whether you would do this to your sister.

That's all I'm going to say on this thread.

@Lucky Charm  Yes.  Why wouldn't I, if I thought it was what was best for me?  And I would hope the other person would see that and understand.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

At one time a brother and sister bought the house next to us.  Later he decided to get married and needed to sell the house in order to afford a new place.  The sister loved it there and didn't want to leave but she couldn’t afford it on her own so she had to sell.  It didn’t cause any problems between them.  I think they both recognized that life and circumstances change over time.  People move on. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Esteemed Contributor

If I had a child, I would love them unconditionally.

Love shouldn't come with strings attached.

Trusted Contributor

That is a wonderful way to put it, Plaid Pants2....to me, Love is, and should be, such a strong emotion that it would be very difficult to say "I'll only love you IF..." 

You can easily not like someone (as in not liking their behavior),but you can still love them, at least that's how I feel! 

Honored Contributor

Gosh ,I think so. I might not like them, but I can't imagine not loving them

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would youolove your child . . .

@RetRN wrote:

No.

Love is earned  and I see no need to tolerate bad behavior in children or anyone else.  

Love is earned?

I've never heard anyone in my life say that.

Trust is earned.....respect is earned.....but love?

Not in my book.

Especially concerning one's own children.

I love them because they're my child - PERIOD.

Respected Contributor

Re: Would youolove your child . . .

[ Edited ]

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

No.

Love is earned  and I see no need to tolerate bad behavior in children or anyone else.  

Love is earned?

I've never heard anyone in my life say that.

Trust is earned.....respect is earned.....but love?

Not in my book.

Especially concerning one's own children.

I love them because they're my child - PERIOD.

Amen!!

Nor should a parent play favorites...*wink*

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

. . . no matter what he/she did?

Of course.  A parent's love should be unconditional.  That doesn't mean you like what they did or didn't do or that you agree with them on everything.  It also doesn't mean you  can skip the tough love if it is needed.  But would I love them no matter what?  Of course.

Valued Contributor

We've never been blessed with children-I can't honestly answer that question-I'd like to believe I would-

I did have a Mom for 64 years of my life though-A beautiful, intellectual, spirited, imperfect, chaotic mother who gave birth to four imperfect children –

Respectfully @LilacTree while I can only speak from my own experience and belief - it seems the most important question is not really about "love" at all, but, forgiveness.

I think we can love someone until the moon falls from the sky-and while love may eventually, (hopefully) disarm hostility, I don’t think it can grow without understanding, nor can it be a promise of joy and freedom-that's what we find in forgiveness-

I don’t suppose any kind of brokenness that is percieved to have occured from some sort of slight, can heal without it – nor do I think it needs to be reciprocal in order for us to begin the healing process-and to that end, it should be given wholly and without expectations and conditions attached for reconciliation-

Mentioned prior by another, it is possible that our illnesses (not all) are created by the environment of negativity that we allow to flourish within and around us –

Perhaps in the end, the relationship will not be restored to what it was or might have been-but you might be surprised how restorative an apology can be, for you-

Kindest wishes.