Super Contributor

Re: Who Gets Holiday Gifts From YOU??

My DH and I are retired and have no family. We don't buy gifts for each other. We get names from organizations and buy for the needy, especially children. We also buy food for meals for the homeless shelter. We are trying to get rid of stuff; we don't need anything, but many people do. We have a quiet, peaceful holiday ad delight that we can help others.

tea

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/25/2014 teainlondon said:

My DH and I are retired and have no family. We don't buy gifts for each other. We get names from organizations and buy for the needy, especially children. We also buy food for meals for the homeless shelter. We are trying to get rid of stuff; we don't need anything, but many people do. We have a quiet, peaceful holiday ad delight that we can help others.

tea

Now thats the true spirit of Christmas! How lovely! I'm so glad the days are over when I HAD to get presents for those who didn't care or appreciate. Christmas wasn't enjoyable! I have wonderful memories as a child. Maybe a doll and some clothes and I was ecstatic. It seems to be HOW many gifts today! I love gifts but its more fun giving!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Valued Contributor

2 sons, 2 daughters, their spouses , 7 grand kids, husband, and a little something for those who comes to celebrate Christmas Eve which is between 8 and 10 family members, 6 girl friends and 4 work friends. Not big gifts for all but everyone gets a little something when they come to our house. I don't spend a fortune on a lot of the items but I try and buy something useful or different and I do buy a lot after the holiday's.

I start right after Christmas and shop all year and try and finish it up by the end of October or first part of November. Then wrap and mail some gifts out and the rest of the time I bake cookies, decorate and go to parties and plays and just fun stuff.

I do shop QVC but not for all my items but for a few of them. I've seen a lot this year that I like. My husband I shop it together.

The grand kids out of state are getting an ornament (I bought the Lenox set of 8 from QVC and a gift card. Something to open and less expensive to mail too.

Super Contributor

My family and several close friends.

The local Angel Tree at our Church---usually pick 2-3 kids to buy for.

My amazing office staff---nurses, medical assistants, and front desk staff. They keep my office running like a well oiled machine.

Valued Contributor

On 10/25/2014 mominohio said:

In addition to the "regulars" (kid, hubby,mom) I do have several people in my life that I like to occasionally gift small things. One year, I had a lot of health issues and the folks at my dentist office worked with easing my pain and fears, so I gifted my hygienist a pretty insulated grocery tote.

One year, we had lots of trying times at the vet with very sick dog, and for the holidays, we took up a huge fruit basket and bagel and cream cheese tray from a local eatery. Another year I did up a huge array of homemade candy and cookies. Both gifts were well received, and covered about 20 people who work there.

Our substitute mail lady is the best. My elderly mom lives next door to me, and she leaves her little notes, visits with her when she is outside at delivery time, and goes out of her way to make sure our packages are covered and safe. We just love her. Last year I got her a beautiful handmade basket filled with expensive winter themed dish towels and soaps, all tied up with pretty bows.

My mom took her primary care doctor a set of the poo pourie (sp?) for the office (and I don't get why everyone criticizes this stuff, especially in a public or work/office environment, it is really needed!).

Over time, there have been others that aren't in my regular gift group that I like to remember with a little something, and many of the little things Q sells are useful for just that. I even like those little flashlights. Everyone needs one of those in the car or purse or bedside table.

I have given the flashlights, poo pourie and candle sets and other sets they offer. I find them nice to give and the flashlights are nice too. I keep them handy and use them a lot. My grand daughter likes having a flashlight to use when she stays.

This year I bought the kitchen cutters that Mark Charles is selling that he has with individual boxes and got those today and they are great.

Trusted Contributor

My husband, daughter, son-in-law, grandson, daughter's in-laws. And, a donation to a charity of some sort...this year to The Defenders of Animals Rights.

My husband and I spent a lot on things for the home this year, including some remodeling projects, so we probably won't be exchanging gifts this year. Daughter and SIL will probably get one gift "for the house", and maybe one small extra thing each. And, our Grandson will get one larger item and one or two smaller things. And, we just exchange something small with our daughter's in-laws. That's it for this year.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

We usually do several shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child and choose a boy and a girl from the Salvation Army tree

Family gifts are for our grandkids, kids, and my brother and sister in-law. We no longer buy for nieces and nephews.....never see them and there are too many to count. DH and I buy something for the house together and no gifts for each other. Last year it was a new TV for the den; this year hardwood flooring for the LR/DR. DH hates to spend $ on house projects but if I tell him it's our Christmas gift to each other he is all over it!

Honored Contributor

Immediate family and 2 close friends.
Honored Contributor

All family and friends are ""No Gifting"".........donate to charity.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Contributor

My son, DIL, two grand daughters, my daughter, SIL, grand son and grand daugher, 3 sisters. I give gifts as I buy them because at my age, why wait? My children have other grandparents, aunts, etc. so there is no shortage of gifts to open on Christmas proper and I have a small token gift from me. The guys (including my 20 year old grandson) get gift cards, the 3,4, and 10 year grand daughters get clothing and/or something for their rooms. I buy all year long for my sweet little Mother who is 97 years old. Anything to brighten her day and make her smile-she is just a little pampered by her 4 girls. I even adopted a Yorkie that I was fostering because she just loves her, so I have learned not to let her meet my

fosters.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} My DIL and daughter have expressed their appreciation for me not buying more toys to add to the "stash" that the girls get each year.