Honored Contributor

Re: When do kids in your area go back to School?

The tuesday after Labor Day!

Respected Contributor

Public schools in Michigan can't start until the day after Labor Day, per state law. The private schools around me start a couple of weeks before that. A friend of mine teaches in the Catholic schools and has to go back to work on August 1st. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Regular Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I live in Va.  It's getting so that in Va there is such a variety of when children start, it's crazy.

I only live maybe 20 miles from my daughter and her children go back earlier than the children in my area.  Her children got out at least 1 week later than in my area.

Just a few years ago all of Va went and got out of school AFTER labor day.  Now it varies.

I forget the exact number of days but where my daughter's children go to school they weren't allowed to get out earlier even though the school system had incorporated in (I think) 7 or more snow days.  They didn't use them but the district wouldn't give them credit for going so they actually went to school longer than where I lived.....more days would probably be a more accurate way of saying it.

My other daughter lives in Florida and her children go back in August also.

I know in Va the law says the children have to go to school a specific number of days.

Phew!  I've recently gotten criticism for posting long bla bla's.  I apologize, but I had to explain...one reason why it varies in my area....

I'm in Northern Virginia and my youngest son goes back on 7 Aug!!  Where on earth have the summers gone for the kids?!

Honored Contributor

In my county, July 31st. Yes, JULY 31st. 

The teachers head back this coming Monday. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

(So. Calif.)

GS starts school on Aug. 14th.

GD starts school on Aug. 23rd.

Esteemed Contributor

Auguest 14th.

Honored Contributor

@JB116 wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I live in Va.  It's getting so that in Va there is such a variety of when children start, it's crazy.

I only live maybe 20 miles from my daughter and her children go back earlier than the children in my area.  Her children got out at least 1 week later than in my area.

Just a few years ago all of Va went and got out of school AFTER labor day.  Now it varies.

I forget the exact number of days but where my daughter's children go to school they weren't allowed to get out earlier even though the school system had incorporated in (I think) 7 or more snow days.  They didn't use them but the district wouldn't give them credit for going so they actually went to school longer than where I lived.....more days would probably be a more accurate way of saying it.

My other daughter lives in Florida and her children go back in August also.

I know in Va the law says the children have to go to school a specific number of days.

Phew!  I've recently gotten criticism for posting long bla bla's.  I apologize, but I had to explain...one reason why it varies in my area....

I'm in Northern Virginia and my youngest son goes back on 7 Aug!!  Where on earth have the summers gone for the kids?!

@Annebellethecat,I love your posts and anyone who doesn't want to read them always has the option of moving on!

Honored Contributor

Our teachers go back on August 24-26.  

When I taught, August 14th was usually the first student day.

NC requires 144 days.  They are extremely strict on "forgiving" a day for snow to my county.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kids here used to go back the last week of August.  However, Gov Hogan signed an executive order requiring the first day of school fall after Labor Day (similar to VA's "Kings Dominion" law) and the last day no later than June 15.  The only exception is for counties in the panhandle area where they get more snow (and thus more snow days). 

Hogan's economic rationale was related to Ocean City tourism.  However, he neglected to consider that colleges still go back in mid-August, so there is limited staffing for camps, pools, etc.

Back in my day, we never started before Labor Day and we were done by 1st week of June (i.e., final exams).  They close school at the drop of a hat, there are more professional days, plus kids here get the Jewish holidays off too.  The BofE complained that under the new guidelines they were able to bake in only 2 snow days, so I guess we have to cross our fingers and hope we don't have another snowmaggeddon.

Honored Contributor

Not soon enough.  I was out all day and I came home to the neighbor's grandchildren hooping and hollering and making a ruckus up and down the street.  I totally forgot, they spend the month of August with her every year.  Hopefully, she has enrolled them in a summer program.