Honored Contributor

Re: When To Change Doctors (For Tween)?

I would more concerned about the type of care she was getting, than who she is seeing. That matters a lot more ,than the title of her Dr

Trusted Contributor

I think it depends on the child and the practice.  When I was growing up I stopped seeing a pediatrician when I was a tween.  I'm going to play it by ear with my kids.  My 12 and 13 year old still saw our pediatrician last year.  This year I will ask the oldest if he wants to change drs or not.  The pediatrician although busy is always easy to get into.  We always see teens in the office when we are there.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy My 21 year old son still sees his pediatrician and will continue until the age of 26 (which is when he is off our insurance and will then have him become our dependent). As per all our doctors, as long as insurance companies see them as "children" and the parents policy covers them, the pediatrician can still see them as patients.

My 18 year old still sees him as well but he rarely needs to. He just sees no reason to switch as of yet.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@ScrapHappy My 21 year old son still sees his pediatrician and will continue until the age of 26 (which is when he is off our insurance and will then have him become our dependent). As per all our doctors, as long as insurance companies see them as "children" and the parents policy covers them, the pediatrician can still see them as patients.

My 18 year old still sees him as well but he rarely needs to. He just sees no reason to switch as of yet.

@SahmIam

we always liked our pediatrician and the care she provided. we were lucky to have her for each of our children up until their 22nd birthday. she was there from the day they were born. no one knew their medical history better. illness, sickness.....she would always squeeze you in the same day you called. she had her phone hours from 8 am through 9 am every day of the work week. SHE picked up the phone. she always provided us with the appropriate doctors when they needed care that she could not provide. she just recently retired at the age of 75. not so easy for anyone to keep the same doctor for 22 years.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

My son saw his pediatrician until age 21.He felt comfortable with him & didn’t want to change.After he turned 21 I got a letter from our insurance company saying that he had to transition to another doctor before his 22nd birthday.

Honored Contributor

My son's pediatrician told me to find him a family doc when my son turned 13.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Honestly, I don't think this is even an issue for most people.  The change just happens naturally.  I'm glad you mentioned age 26 because many pediatricians do see patients up to 23 and some up to 26.  It has absolutely nothing to do with insurance, Md's are Md's.  Insurers don't care if a covered patient sees a pediatrician until they are 104 years old.   One thing that has not been addressed , at 18, patients are considered to be adults, whether the parents like it or not.  It's the law.   If the PATIENT wants a parent in the exam room, the doctor has to get that patient's permission to have the parent there.  Which means the doctor or nurse has to ask the patient.   The doctor cannot legally disclose health information to a parent without the patient's written permission.  I've actually never heard of a parent saying "Johnny, it's time for you to stop seeing a pediatrician".  It doesn't work that way,  it's the young person who makes that decision on their own.  Usually because they move or go off to college or they don't want to sit in waiting rooms with 8 years.  Some pediatricians with large practices do transition patients at 21 or 23 when they reach the point when they have too many patients to handle. However, if a patient vehemently resists, they'll keep that patient until the patient is ready to transition out.   

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our pediatrician practice will see patients until 21.  My son was ready to leave at 18 years old and now goes to our PCP when  he'd see parents bringing their children in the pediatrician's office that looked younger than him.  LOL!  My daughter is 15 and she still goes to the pediatrician.  If you aren't comfortable with the practice, it does not matter the age so much as how the practice is run.  My daughter sees 3 different pediatricians and we are pleased with all three and so is she.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Honestly, I don't think this is even an issue for most people.  The change just happens naturally.  I'm glad you mentioned age 26 because many pediatricians do see patients up to 23 and some up to 26.  It has absolutely nothing to do with insurance, Md's are Md's.  Insurers don't care if a covered patient sees a pediatrician until they are 104 years old.   One thing that has not been addressed , at 18, patients are considered to be adults, whether the parents like it or not.  It's the law.   If the PATIENT wants a parent in the exam room, the doctor has to get that patient's permission to have the parent there.  Which means the doctor or nurse has to ask the patient.   The doctor cannot legally disclose health information to a parent without the patient's written permission.  I've actually never heard of a parent saying "Johnny, it's time for you to stop seeing a pediatrician".  It doesn't work that way,  it's the young person who makes that decision on their own.  Usually because they move or go off to college or they don't want to sit in waiting rooms with 8 years.  Some pediatricians with large practices do transition patients at 21 or 23 when they reach the point when they have too many patients to handle. However, if a patient vehemently resists, they'll keep that patient until the patient is ready to transition out.   

@chrystaltree  You are correct that at 18, your child MUST give permission to the parent for anything involving their care even if he/she is still going to the pediatrician and you are paying for it. Parents often forget this according to one of the nurses there.

@ScrapHappy My eldest is disabled and his situation is bit different, therefore. That said, I have had to fill out paperwork with every doctor in order to have access to his records and to speak to anyone involved with his care. His neurological team is in a different state and his pediatrician works with that team to assist with the care of my son locally. Due to an issue with his medications and the DEA contacting his doctor about them, his doc and I were discussing long term prescriptions; found out that his doc has a few patients between the ages of 30 and late 40's that he still sees and writes Rx's for. @chrystaltree is correct, again, that the insurance company doesn't care who sees you, just as long as they are legit doctor.

Esteemed Contributor

Lots of times it's when the kids are going off to college that the change is made.