Honored Contributor

Re: What to do about "supposed friend?"

Critiqued?!  Wave bye bye.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just read the O/P's post.

My first thought was/is that the friend was simply reimbursing the O/P for the ingredients, an act of kindness.

She might have meant that it's this time of year for the O/P to do a bit of baking.  Nothing more.

Unless the friend actually asked for a fresh baked pie, I would just carry on.  And, even then, if she had asked, I would have cheerfully said that I most likely won't have the time or energy to bake an extra pie right now, this year, and if she can use the flour and apples, go ahead and take them home.  

Be cheerful, be kind.  She will 'get the hint' and not expect a pie right now.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Oh my gosh; I can't believe the nerve, and rudeness and bad manners of, some people.

I grew up in a chaotic family situation (bad parents, both alcoholics, etc.) with very little of what would be called "home training" but even I knew things like that aren't right.

Valued Contributor

I would have said, upon surprise, " Yes....it IS that time of year. I will drop the recipe in your mailbox".
Today, everyone is offended. I kind of look at people like this 2 ways. Seriously, ignorant and narcissistic.
Yeah, they radically showed a very covert move to get what they knew, your pie.
Put the recipe in her box and let it go. Yes, not friends but just another example of people wanting and expecting.
Respected Contributor

People only treat us how we allow them to. She is rude and way out of line. I would simply return the apples and sugar she brought you and very nicely say "I only bake when I want to and I also only share with my friends when I want to. I am sure you understand as baking is very time consuming and you really have to be in the mood."

Respected Contributor

This thread was started a year ago.