Honored Contributor

Re: What’s the best gift you received for your new baby?

@cactusgal wrote:

@nana59: It sure was over 40 years ago. My oldest will be 50 in a few months. And I also used cloth diapers Woman Wink

My oldest was born in 1973 the same year Pampers was improved to the way they are today.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

Cleaning services once a week for three months.  I scheduled the services for every othe week and stretched out for six. 

@ninjawife   My mom paid for someone to clean my house every other week for a year.It was great not to not have to worry about it.

Valued Contributor

6 months diaper service

Honored Contributor

It was in 1983 so they were not fancy but it was a portable intercom system (plug in) to go from room to room.  We slept with our door closed and my son always slept from the beginning with his bedroom door closed.  Loved that thing.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always make a basket of baby things new mothers need but don’t know they need.... roll of Viva paper towels (soft enough to do a quick wipe of baby’s face or hands if you need to). Dreft detergent spray to help with “mystery stains” which are from breast milk) a carpet sweeper...for quick and quiet floor or carpet pickups while baby is sleeping. I still get calls from mothers who use that thing and tell me how much they appreciate it. Casa Bella is the brand. After so many grand babies, we have figured it out...and with two preemies who spent months in the special nursery at the hospital, we learned so much from the nurses there...they even used Viva on baby skin...so know it is safe.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first daughter was allergic to Kimbies..the only disposable diaper available in our area back then...so I had to use cloth diapers. Very few things masked the odor of the diaper pail. She was also allergic to baby formula and I could not nurse her. I had to order this vile-smelling soy- based formula by mail which took two weeks to be delivered and cost a fortune. She loved it. That daughter is 46 years old now and is still high maintenance!
When I think of the car seat we used for her, I cringe....nothing like the ones today.

Honored Contributor

Mine was born in 1974 and all we had were Kimbies...no Pampers back then where we lived
Honored Contributor

When my daughter was born (now 47), my son (48) was barely one year old. I was panicked! My best friend gave me a handwritten book of "coupons" for an afternoon out w/ her watching the babies, a night w/ not having to cook dinner...she brought the casserole and salad and the one I loved was the coupon for her taking the babies to her house so I had the day at home to myself to catch up on laundry, do my nails, take a long bubble bath, a nap...heaven.