Honored Contributor

What does this say to you, moms?

[ Edited ]

Card I received yesterday for Mother’s Day . . .

I’ve had hard times,

but I‘ve never been alone.

I ‘ve had disappointments,

but I ‘ve never been without

an example to follow - 

Someone went before me

and made her way into the world

with courage and strength.

I’ve never been without love.

And, Mom, you’ll never be

without it either.

That’s how it is between a mother

and a daughter.

That’s how it is between us.

This was given to me by the daughter who lives with me and has chronic Lyme disease.  She is hard to live with and she knows it.  She would never say these words to my face.

How she found this card amazes me, and filled my eyes with tears.  I ‘ve never been a “card” person, but this was us.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: What does this say to you, moms?

She loves you with all her heart and she's aware of what goes on between you two, and she's so grateful.  Some things are too hard for some to put into words.  Rest assured, she loves and appreciates you  more than words can say. Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

What a lovely message. 

Valued Contributor

Lovely card for a loving and lovely Mother, who has a loving lovely sweet kindhearted daughter.

Through sickness and health Mother's and Daughters have a special bond which even in death can never be severed.

Cherish each other always, and never remain angry at each other, because life is full of obstacles, illnesses, disappointments, and tragedies, and life is just too short, but life is also full of a very special bond of love, which both Mothers and Daughters will always share, in this life and beyond.

This special bond and love has no beginning and no end, because it truly is eternal.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree I've read some of your posts in the past and if I'm remembering right there have been some difficult times between the two of you.

I think all mothers and daughters go through times when....well...it's difficult.

I think I'm lucky in that when one of the three is angry I can connect with the other one or two.

That's an amazing card she gave you.  I've read enough of your posts to know what an amazing and wonderful mother you are.

I'm glad she found the card and gave it to you.  I've said before that too often after someone dies people talk about woulda' coulda' shoulda' between the person and themselves.

It's wonderful that you experienced that.  You deserve goodness and happiness.  Maybe she's beginning to see that you have no agenda, you only want good and happiness for her.

That's what I tell my girls when we go at it (all mom's and daughter's do).  It's the truth.  If they stop and think about it they realize in their entire life, their mom has nothing to gain.  Their mom can't and wouldn't divorce them.  Some daughters (like 2 of mine) get married and have children.  They'll feel that way about THEIR children.  

I've told my 2 girls who are married:  "I am number three down the list.  First are  your children.  Second is your husband because he helps keep the family together and third is me.  That's the way it should be.  Just like you with your children, YOU will always be number one."

If us mom's are lucky they will remember that.  Sometimes they just forget.  Sounds like your daughter remembers but she just has trouble telling her momma sometimes.  Fondly, Annabellethecat.

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree   You are loved beyond measure & appreciated. That’s a beautiful thing!! 

Honored Contributor

Sometimes the most difficult people in our lives,are really  aware of how they are,and find it hard to say how they really feel that card was a plus for you,from her.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@LilacTreeIt says that your daughter loves you and she knows you love her.  She may not verbally express these sentiments to you, but she feels them in her heart.  🙂

~LdyBugz

Esteemed Contributor

How wonderful the sentiment in this card. God bless you both. ❤️

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

Annabelle, your response was right on.  You may also remember that I have four daughters, the oldest of them being estranged from me and the rest of the family.  That’s a ten-year old issue now.  I keep trying and tried again yesterday to bring her back, but as has happened before, she clings to her stance and blew me off, saying the same things she has always said.  I fear It will never be resolved to suit her, so I have to come to terms that it is over, which I can’t seem to do.  Of course I still love her and always will. She told me once she had “other families and many friends”

so I shouldnt worry that she is lonely.  She said she is actually very happy with her life.

I do have three other daughters who love me and each other, and I am grateful for that.  At one time when this daughter and I first moved in together, there was a bad day and we were both upset about it.  I waited until bedtime and went into her room.  I said her name and told her that no matter what happens, however hard it seems to be, that I will never leave her.  She has always known that.  So I understand what you said to your married daughters, and you were right. they have their own families now who have priority over me and I totally understand and accept that. That’s the way it should be.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986