Trusted Contributor

What documents should my son have as he travels out of state with a friend’s family?

My 15 year old son was invited to go snowboarding in Utah with his friend’s family in Feb. (We live in NJ). What info/documents should I give to the parents as they travel together? I’m thinking:

1 Some form of ID like a passport

2 Health insurance card in case of injury and ER visit (Heaven forbid!)

3 A letter giving permission to accept medical treatment at a hospital.

If anyone has been in this situation before and could give some good advice, I would appreciate it. 

TIA,

Lisa

Frequent Contributor

Re: What documents should my son have as he travels out of state with a friend’s family?

Yes, I think all of the above should be given to the people he will be traveling with.  I brought my minor grandson’s to Michigan from NM for a few weeks last summer and made sure I was prepared with those documents ...just in case.  You may be able to use a school ID if you do not have a passport for your son.  Better to be safe than sorry with providing these documents.  I hope he has a great time.

Respected Contributor

Re: What documents should my son have as he travels out of state with a friend’s family?

@Lisa Y wrote:

My 15 year old son was invited to go snowboarding in Utah with his friend’s family in Feb. (We live in NJ). What info/documents should I give to the parents as they travel together? I’m thinking:

1 Some form of ID like a passport

2 Health insurance card in case of injury and ER visit (Heaven forbid!)

3 A letter giving permission to accept medical treatment at a hospital.

If anyone has been in this situation before and could give some good advice, I would appreciate it. 

TIA,

Lisa

I would also make sure he has your full name and a good phone number for you. Also if he is allergic to anything.

Respected Contributor

I would add in the letter that Mr. and Mrs. so and so have permission for your son to be in their custody during this time period because he is a minor.

BTW, we do have some great ski resorts and the snow is good this year.

Esteemed Contributor

I would add a letter stating the family he is staying with has permission to have your son treated should the need arise.

Honored Contributor

I would have never let my 15 yr, old son travel out of state with friends to go skiing unless I was going too. Guess I was over protective, but stuff happens and I would just worry the whole time he was gone. That being said, since he's your son the suggestions the posters gave you sound right.

Honored Contributor

I agree with what others have said about a notarized letter in the event something happens & your son needs medical attention.

Many years ago when my son was 16 he was invited to go on a skiing trip with a friends family in the Poconos.  Both kids wanted to snowboard & had "limited" experience ...well, my son ended up getting injured.  He twisted & tore something in his kneecap.

Of course, I was able to give permission over the phone (before HIPPA regulations) for him to be treated in emergency room.  Next day we drove up to hospital to get him (we lived in NJ).

I would definitely say a letter of permission is a good idea & medical cards.

I hope he has a nice time with no problems!

Honored Contributor

@Lisa Y

make sure he has enough cash with him and/or a debit/credit card for emergencies.

it might be nice for him to give the family a small gift to thank them for letting him go with them......or you can do that after they get back home.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, please have the Medical authorization notorized and it should also include the names of the adults and his parents names also, along with a phone number

Some States also allow a 15 year old to have a State ID which would also have his picture and address. See if that is possible in your State. If so that would be all that is needed.

One other thing, it would also be great if you can include his blood type on the Medical Authorization letter.