Esteemed Contributor

Best guess -- stay out of it. Be Silent. Be Safe.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

The only reason why I thought it would be nice to have the GF's Mom over is because we have never really spoke.  

My Gentleman caller explained the GF's Father's hositity towards my Son as:  Like Father like Son.  GF's Dad may be leary of my Son based on the Family history.

Gentleman caller also suggested my Son have a talk with her Dad to reassure her Dad his Daughter is in good hands.

My Son's GF is looking towards a future with my Son but he does have some reluctance to 'put a ring on it' if

he can't clear the air.  

Thanks so much for the positive output and suggestions.

Isn't the GF'S Father and the GF's Dad one and the same person?

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe because your son isn't serious about the girlfriend there has not been a meet and greet of the families.  Her parents aren't pushing it, the girlfriend isn't pushing it and your son isn't pushing it.  I'd leave it alone and let the young couple get the families together.

I agree the mentioning of the past behavior and relationship w/of your ex-husband is very confusing. 

Honored Contributor

No, I don't think I'd ask the GF's mother over for Mother's Day.  Perhaps you could invite your son, his GF and her mom over for a visit and see how that goes.  Basically, I think you are saying that your ex husband has given your family a bad name in the community and that is why the GF's family seems a little standoffish.

Respected Contributor

But they are living with your ex? Who's ex? They must not be too bad then.

Son is living with the girl under someone else's roof. Is that right?

It could be that they see two failed marriages and are hesitant to go there or get the families together because of huge baggage and are embarrassed.

Mother's day is not the time to have the mom over. It should be in a different setting. Why hasn't this happened before if they have been together 3 years?

Honored Contributor

JeanLake:  You're right.  'Be silent, be safe'.  Excellent phrase.  I think I'll post it on my bulletin board!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I think you should first figure out your motivation.  Is it to talk about your ex-husband?  If so, that's wrong.

If you really want to get to know her because your children are dating, then invite her for coffee or suggest meeting for lunch.  And don't say anything about your ex!  Let her get to know you, and let her come to her own conclusions about your son's family.  

Super Contributor

Does anyone really believe this fiction?!  :::yawn, zzzz:::

Respected Contributor

Huh? I cannot understand what you are trying to say.

Respected Contributor

Image result for funny confused gifs huh?