Respected Contributor

@LilacTree  Besides all the obvious concerns, why would an 18 year old want to travel ALONE cross country?  I could see if another friend or girlfriend were going (and would still be concerned) but alone? That's very odd. Any insight?  Or do you think he could possibly be taking a girlfriend and not telling anyone?

Honored Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

@LilacTree  Besides all the obvious concerns, why would an 18 year old want to travel ALONE cross country?  I could see if another friend or girlfriend were going (and would still be concerned) but alone? That's very odd. Any insight?  Or do you think he could possibly be taking a girlfriend and not telling anyone?

Sounds to me like the young man is trying to get away from his father.....(with good reason)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I can't think of any adults that would do this.  I can't say "take it easy" at all.  Please let all of us lend you our strength and support.  I know many of us will send you and your son our prayers.  So verry sorry that you have to deal with this.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I can't think of any adults that would do this.  I can't say "take it easy" at all.  Please let all of us lend you our strength and support.  I know many of us will send you and your son our prayers.  So verry sorry that you have to deal with this.

Again, I am his grandmother, not his mom.  I don't know why she is not fighting this, she knows it's dangerous and told him so.  I am only told so much and I doubt he has a friend, certainly not a girlfriend, and not telling his mother.

Thank you for your prayers and kind words.  I am hoping that this will not happen somehow.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

Sounds to me like the young man is trying to get away from his father.....(with good reason)

Yes.  But he is too young even for an 18 year old.  I am going to try to talk to him, but I don't even know when he's going.  Maybe I can put some doubt in his head that this is a good idea, I don't know.  As I said, his mother (my daughter) has already tried.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

I have an 18 year old son and there is no way I would want him to travel the country alone with no plan, he is very "young" and naive for his age. There is no magic age for maturity, some take longer than others.

Can't he go to community school or some type of career training?  I would rather pay for an apartment than send him out on his own all over the country!!

As to the second paragraph, that is a long story.

Formerly Ford1224
Valued Contributor

I could solve that problem real easy. I would go with him.

Super Contributor

Has he been living with his Dad most of his life? Is he headed for his Mom's home? That's why I asked about a bus ticket. Is he headed for family, or striking out on his own?

'Share location' is literally a real-time tracking feature, let's you know where he is. Is it perfect, no, but it is of some comfort.

Honored Contributor

@PenneyT wrote:

Has he been living with his Dad most of his life? Is he headed for his Mom's home? That's why I asked about a bus ticket. Is he headed for family, or striking out on his own?

'Share location' is literally a real-time tracking feature, let's you know where he is. Is it perfect, no, but it is of some comfort.

No, his mom lives right here in NJ, with me in fact.  There is no one in San Diego.  He has only lived with his father for about a year.  My daughter had custody of the two kids until they reached age 18.  Other things happened which are too complicated and really irrelevant to my main concern right now.  For all I know, he could be on the road already.

My goodness!  He just pulled up!!

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@morning glory wrote:

I could solve that problem real easy. I would go with him.

Well, I would if I could.  However, I doubt he wants to bring his 77 year old grandmother who has rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, gastroparesis, and comes equipped with a Rollator to walk with and a wheelchair he would have to push.

I am hoping your response was a joke.

Formerly Ford1224