Honored Contributor

He's old enough to enlist......................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

My stomach went into knots just reading about this young boy and the trip.....alone....what kind of father lets a son so young on such a long trip....the boy is way inexperienced to do that...so many things that can happen as one other poster mentioned...

If i were OP I would make a copy of this entire thread and send it to the father and the boy...I hope they change their mind...

Honored Contributor

Does he want to do this drive?

Honored Contributor

@circles wrote:

My stomach went into knots just reading about this young boy and the trip.....alone....what kind of father lets a son so young on such a long trip....the boy is way inexperienced to do that...so many things that can happen as one other poster mentioned...

If i were OP I would make a copy of this entire thread and send it to the father and the boy...I hope they change their mind...

It's a long dreadful story.  My stomach is in knots, that is for sure.  I don't know when this is going to happen, but it seems soon.  The more upset I/we get the happier this father will be.  His whole MO for the last six years has been to shock and devastate.  That's about all I can say without veering into troll territory.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

Does he want to do this drive?

Seems so.  He has been brainwashed.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

I would be beside myself with worry. If it were me, I would put up such a fuss, that plan would end. If that is not possible, can you give your son some alternate ideas that he might like? An immature, young looking 18 year old has NO business undertaking a trip like this. If the trip does end up happening, make sure he understands he should NOT stop to help anyone who appears to be having car trouble, or asks for rides, etc. Cell phone with GPS tracker, a planned itinerary and frequent check-ins is important too and a credit card for emergencies. Also make sure understands he needs to stay in well-populated campsites around families. His father sounds like a NUT to me. Father's should understand a son is more important that spending extra time with a girlfriend (IMHO).

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

@PenneyT wrote:

Can you wire him a bus ticket? 

Also, does the son have a cell phone? On some phones, there is the option of 'share your location' in the text portion, and that is nice to help judge arrival times and progress, etc., I use this often with a son that lives out of town.

PenneyT, he's still here.  I'm sorry, I don't follow.  He would not take a bus.  Of course he has a cell phone, but I don't know anything about "share your location," or what good that would do.  Hopefully he will keep in touch with his mother.  But she can't do anything about something that may happen to him a thousand miles from here.

Her acceptance of this surprises me.  However, he is of full age, she can't stop him.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@Cat Lover Dogs too wrote:

I would be beside myself with worry. If it were me, I would put up such a fuss, that plan would end. If that is not possible, can you give your son some alternate ideas that he might like? An immature, young looking 18 year old has NO business undertaking a trip like this. If the trip does end up happening, make sure he understands he should NOT stop to help anyone who appears to be having car trouble, or asks for rides, etc. Cell phone with GPS tracker, a planned itinerary and frequent check-ins is important too and a credit card for emergencies. Also make sure understands he needs to stay in well-populated campsites around families. His father sounds like a NUT to me. Father's should understand a son is more important that spending extra time with a girlfriend (IMHO).

I'm his grandmother, not his mom.  I have no influence on him at all.  The father is a psycho who cares only about himself.

My grandson and his mother talked about it.  Other than what I've said here, I don't know what he's been told.  Obviously, his father thinks it's a great idea.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

He's old enough to enlist......................

It wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Formerly Ford1224
Esteemed Contributor

I have an 18 year old son and there is no way I would want him to travel the country alone with no plan, he is very "young" and naive for his age. There is no magic age for maturity, some take longer than others.

Can't he go to community school or some type of career training?  I would rather pay for an apartment than send him out on his own all over the country!!