Respected Contributor

Why not have a barbeque at your place for Memorial Day instead? Invite more people than you would have had for Mother's Day. Your son could use his grilling skills, his girlfriend might want to bring a dish or help you, and perhaps her mom would too. The situation wouldn't be as intense as just a few of you for Mother's Day. You could keep it light-hearted, maybe a simple outdoor game or 2, or watch whatever movie marathon might be on, etc, You could leave any conversations about the past for the future, or put them on a shelf and close the cupboard door on them. .

Honored Contributor

Why would you invite a woman you've never spoken to despite the fact that your kids have been togther for 3 years to your home for Mother's Day???  If I were that woman, I politely decline.  Why are bringing up abuse?  How does your past marital issues play into anything, especially Mother's Day?   Impossible to tell what's going on in your mind but I think there's a reason why your son hasn't introduced you to his girlfriend's mother.  If you want to meet the woman, ask your son and leave it to him and his girlfriend to arrange something. 

Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think ...ey w

@sktchy wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

Is your son and his GF going to be at your house for Mother's Day? If so I'd ask her how she feels about you inviting her mother. 

My Son will be over for Mother's Day - but the GF and her Mom both have jobs that require they work the occassional week end.

The GF is checking with her Mom to see if she wants to come down to my place.  

I have a lot of dirt on my Ex - and to add to the mix - he had a horrendous background (it came out while we where separated - and explained a lot of his behaviors). My ex-Husband and the GF's Family all live in the same  area - so they are very familiar with each other.

I feel odd because my Son and his GF have been together for an extended amount of time and I really don't know much about them except what my Son has told me - and the Dad in particular acts nasty towards my Son.  

And now I get it.  You want to invite them over so you can tell your tale of woe to them and give them a minute by minute accounting of your marriage and whatever transpired and trash your fomer husband.  Shame on you.  Do your son a favor and leave those people alone.  If you subject them to all that baggage you lug around, they aren't going to think well of you.  They are going to see right through you and forever keep their distance. 

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I don't fully understand the situation; however, if you do invite your son's girlfriend and her mom, I wouldn't mention anything bad about your ex.  Just avoid starting that subject.  Being that they know and live near him, etc., etc.

That's the only reason why she suddenly wants to meet the girlfriend's mom....to bash the ex. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: What do you think ...

[ Edited ]

The only reason why I thought it would be nice to have the GF's Mom over is because we have never really spoke.  

My Gentleman caller explained the GF's Father's hositity towards my Son as:  Like Father like Son.  GF's Dad may be leary of my Son based on the Family history.

Gentleman caller also suggested my Son have a talk with her Dad to reassure her Dad his Daughter is in good hands.

My Son's GF is looking towards a future with my Son but he does have some reluctance to 'put a ring on it' if

he can't clear the air.  

Thanks so much for the positive output and suggestions.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I glanced over the OP's post.  I'd say go ahead and invite whomever you want but it sounds like you might be having some fireworks.....if someone gets upset based on their history.

Oh goodness no - the ex won't be around.  

We will NEVER be friends.  

Honored Contributor

Maybe meet her on another day, but not Mother's day.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What do you think ...ey w

@chrystaltree wrote:

@sktchy wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

Is your son and his GF going to be at your house for Mother's Day? If so I'd ask her how she feels about you inviting her mother. 

My Son will be over for Mother's Day - but the GF and her Mom both have jobs that require they work the occassional week end.

The GF is checking with her Mom to see if she wants to come down to my place.  

I have a lot of dirt on my Ex - and to add to the mix - he had a horrendous background (it came out while we where separated - and explained a lot of his behaviors). My ex-Husband and the GF's Family all live in the same  area - so they are very familiar with each other.

I feel odd because my Son and his GF have been together for an extended amount of time and I really don't know much about them except what my Son has told me - and the Dad in particular acts nasty towards my Son.  

And now I get it.  You want to invite them over so you can tell your tale of woe to them and give them a minute by minute accounting of your marriage and whatever transpired and trash your fomer husband.  Shame on you.  Do your son a favor and leave those people alone.  If you subject them to all that baggage you lug around, they aren't going to think well of you.  They are going to see right through you and forever keep their distance. 

The parents have been separated (not legally) for 8 plus years.  They have separate homes - they live 3-4 miles apart.   

My Son's GF told me 'I wish my parents got along like you Guys'    -    my ex and I  'get along'  because I ignore him.  

My Family, Friends and my Son laugh about it now but he took 5 years to sign the papers - 

Sorry to disappoint ya !

Honored Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

The only reason why I thought it would be nice to have the GF's Mom over is because we have never really spoke.  

My Gentleman caller explained the GF's Father's hositity towards my Son as:  Like Father like Son.  GF's Dad may be leary of my Son based on the Family history.

Gentleman caller also suggested my Son have a talk with her Dad to reassure her Dad his Daughter is in good hands.

My Son's GF is looking towards a future with my Son but he does have some reluctance to 'put a ring on it' if

he can't clear the air.  

Really?   That's the story now?   Then why all the talk about your ex and your history with him and who he lives near?   Suddenly after three years, you want to not just meet but entertain your girlfriend's mother?   If you want to meet the woman, go through your son and his girlfriend.  Especially since you have some type of bad blood with the young woman's father.  It seems like you want to make trouble between that family and your son. 

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@sktchy wrote:

he can't clear the air.  

Really?   That's the story now?   Then why all the talk about your ex and your history with him and who he lives near?   Suddenly after three years, you want to not just meet but entertain your girlfriend's mother?   If you want to meet the woman, go through your son and his girlfriend.  Especially since you have some type of bad blood with the young woman's father.  It seems like you want to make trouble between that family and your son. 

You must be a real joy to be around.

Peace !