Respected Contributor

What do moms of young girls think of this?

[ Edited ]

I heard a weird story from a houseguest this weekend.

Her niece--her sister's child-- is a very cute little 6-year-old--confirmed by photos I was shown.

New couple moved in next door.

Mom and Dad really like the new neighbors.

New man next door has begun sending fancy flower arrangements to the little girl.

Parents don't think anything is odd or creepy about this.

I saw photos of these flowers.......they are not the type  you pick up  on the fly while at the grocery store, but extremely gorgeous ones professionally arranged.

All of us who heard this story  (including my DIL who is Mom to our gorgeous little granddaughter) and saw the flower photos were.... HORRIFIED!!

Girl's mother and father are said to be thrilled with the neighbor's attention to their little girl and tend to believe the best of everyone.   Other family members are NOT thrilled.

Would you suspect we have a predator operating in this scenario ,and this situation might  not end well if parents don't wake up?

Respected Contributor

Re: What do moms of young girls think of this?

My reaction would be the same as yours.  It sure sounds like that guy is setting her up.  Someone needs to wake these parents up to that possibility.....OMG.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not the mother of a young girl, but I do have an adult daughter. If this had happened when dd was young....I'd be sending those flowers right back. The man is thinking way too much about that little girl, imho.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would be concerned, unless he's a florist men just don't send elaborate flower arrangements to little girls to be nice. I don't have a young daughter, but I have concern and common sense.

Honored Contributor

Yes, that is highly suspicious and it would set off alarm bells for us. 

Honored Contributor

It's beyond creepy and those parents should wake up!  It's romantic move and there is no other way to see it.  He has secktualized that little girl and he is courting her!  Yes, he's a pervert.  Why would any parent be "thrilled" by something like that?  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1  I don't have any children but there can really be nothing ok about this unless there is one time flower arrangement was sent maybe because the little girl thought an arrangement he had sent to his wife was gorgeous and said that nobody ever sent her flowers then maybe one time would be sweet but... If I were the parent I would want to know why he is doing it and nicely request that he stop.  I would then tell her to stay away from the neighbors unless you are present.  I think I also would do a thorough background check on him.  It is just so creepy and inappropriate!!

Respected Contributor

Well, there really isn't anything you can do, so it doesn't matter what you or any of us think. Your houseguest and others in the family will need to asses the situation probably on an ongoing basis.

Super Contributor

It's called Grooming.

Child grooming is befriending and establishing an emotional connection with a child, and sometimes the family, to lower the child's inhibitions with the objective of sexual abuse.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 

I agree with you!

NO NO NO INAPPROPRIATE!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~