Esteemed Contributor

What age for the first sleepover?

My granddaughter is 5  and was invited to a sleepover with some of her School friends. My daughter thinks she is too young and so do I.

I remember allowing my daughter to attend one when she was in First grade, but in this day and age.....I probably wouldn't have allowed it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What age for the first sleepover?

Yes, 5 is too young in my book...can't remember how old my daughter was but I'll say probably around 8, and it was with a family I knew very well...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

There's plenty of time for sleepovers. I'm thinking teen years.  If a 5 yr old wakes up from a nightmare, she wants her own bed and parents.  IMHO

Esteemed Contributor

Seems too young to me.  My little grandkids love to sleepover with me or their other grandmother, but that is very different and they have always done it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

5 is too young, imo to go to a sleepover at a friends house.

If your grandchild is just sleeping over at your house it is fine.

As an adult, I see no reason for kids sleepovers.

I always wanted to come home later in the evening from sleepovers. (and I usually had my parents pick me up)

At this day and age, I would never drop my kid overnight with anyone (unless I knew them very well).

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  -  I agree with the other posts, five is too young.

Esteemed Contributor

5 is too young in general. Unless the other family are people you're super close with- best friends that are like family,  that sort of thing. 

Valued Contributor

Five is way too young in my opinion. My parents never allowed it, and I grew up in a more "innocent" time. I never allowed my two children to spend the night until they were 12. I had to know the parents very well too. There are way too many things kids can get into these days, I doubt I would allow it at all now.  Too many parents are permissive, or want to be "friends" with their kids, and don't supervise as they should.  In many homes these days, the kids "rule the roost". Just my opinion. 

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Respected Contributor

I agree with the other posters.  Five is too young.  My daughter was 10 (almost 11) when she had her first sleepover.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Five is too young to sleep over at a home other than with grandparents or cousins. The other girl's parents must have older kids. 

No daughters here. Boys have way fewer sleep overs. DS #2 had more invites than did #1. I only allowed him to sleep over with two friends throughout his entire school years at homes of families that I knew well, especially the Dads. They had sleepovers several times a year.

Can't be too careful or too naive with your children no matter what their ages.

My father was ahead of his time. I was the oldest child growing up. He only allowed me to go to two sleepovers in my life that I can recall. Both girls lived on my street and we knew the families well. My mother had to beg and plead with him to allow the first one.