Valued Contributor

Re: What age for the first sleepover?

junior high school age - late tweens/early teens

Honored Contributor

We let our son have his two best friends over to spend the night for his birthday when he was around seven.

These boys went to school together, we all knew eachother from cub scouts, all the parents were on a first name basis as well, and lived within three minutes of eachother.  

I wouldn't have wanted the responsibility for other children.

Trusted Contributor

No sleepovers, events yes, trips to pizza, yes, no sleepovers, too much going on. Anyone see the story on you tube where girl was burned with boiling water by another girl at sleepover?   Or stories of sleepovers where parents have friends overseas during sleepovers.  You really have to know the parents or stay at the event.  Also other kids at some of these events can be predators.   Too much going on!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

We started back in the 2nd grade (early 70's) and did not end the every week-end sleep overs until almost graduation from high school.  Went from the days of our Mom's driving us to our friends homes to driving ourselves.   Friday nights were always sleep at your friends, then meet up with the rest of the gang at the movies, roller rink, or football games.  As we got older and played or performed at the football games then we went on to the sock hops not much time left of Friday night at that point but we still spent the night at one of the girls homes.  Loved the girl time from elementary on up........

I do think 5 is a bit young.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

You brought back a cute memory for me.  When one of my little granddaughters went to a friends house (about six years old)  . . . this friend lived very near me.

At about midnight, my doorbell rang, and there was my granddaughter with all of her stuff standing there with her friend's mother.  My granddaughter  said to me "Grandma, I'm just not ready."  We moms both smiled at each other, and I brought my granddaughter up to my bedroom with me where she promptly fell sound asleep.

I called my daughter first thing in the morning.  And she laughed and said "I had a feeling that would happen."

This granddaughter now lives in Manhattan with friends and is a "woman of the world."  She became a very socially active girl in her early teens.

@LilacTree, I know you wrote this in June, but I'm just seeing it now.   And I had to tell you that I think this is SO adorable!  :-)

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

You brought back a cute memory for me.  When one of my little granddaughters went to a friends house (about six years old)  . . . this friend lived very near me.

At about midnight, my doorbell rang, and there was my granddaughter with all of her stuff standing there with her friend's mother.  My granddaughter  said to me "Grandma, I'm just not ready."  We moms both smiled at each other, and I brought my granddaughter up to my bedroom with me where she promptly fell sound asleep.

I called my daughter first thing in the morning.  And she laughed and said "I had a feeling that would happen."

This granddaughter now lives in Manhattan with friends and is a "woman of the world."  She became a very socially active girl in her early teens.

@LilacTree, I know you wrote this in June, but I'm just seeing it now.   And I had to tell you that I think this is SO adorable!  :-)

@NYC Susan

Yes . . . a fond memory indeed.  She's 21 now and SO independent! 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

We had a lot of sleep overs at our house because I didn't want my son elsewhere.I knew that I would be keeping a good watch on the children and would not have any other company during those nights. I spoiled them all so our house was the place to be and they all looked forward to an invite.We started around 5 years but the children were all neighbors so their parents were close at hand.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When my son had his eighth birthday he took eight friends (both sexes) out for Chinese and then we had a sleepover.  Boys in one room with DH, and girls in the other with me.  Even though he is grown with his own kids he remembers this as the best birthday.

Occasional Contributor

I think 5 is too young!! it is really important to be careful with our kids nowadays.This generation is way different than ours

Contributor

My daughter only went to 1 sleep over  when she was 14,  I knew the girl and her family very well.  I found out that she went to a party and didn't tell me.  Well, that was it for me no more sleep overs.for her or any of my other  4 children..