Respected Contributor

WHAT DO YOU HAVE PLANNED FOR YOUR TEEN THIS SUMMER?

My daughter usually does a camp.  I don't think it's opening this summer but even if it was, I don't feel comfortable with sending her.  I don't think any of her friends are going either if they open.  School has ended for us (3/22) and my daughter is bored.  What are your plans?  Staying home?  Crafts?

Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT DO YOU HAVE PLANNED FOR YOUR TEEN THIS SUMMER?

As we speak now, I plan to stay at home here since there is no going back for me, yet!

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

My daughter usually does a camp.  I don't think it's opening this summer but even if it was, I don't feel comfortable with sending her.  I don't think any of her friends are going either if they open.  School has ended for us (3/22) and my daughter is bored.  What are your plans?  Staying home?  Crafts?

@ScrapHappy How is it possible your daughter has not had school since 3/22? My grandchildren have been doing remote school since then and are only finishing in the next few weeks. They have classes in all the disciplines. 

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@ScrapHappy How is it possible your daughter has not had school since 3/22? My grandchildren have been doing remote school since then and are only finishing in the next few weeks. They have classes in all the disciplines. 

Typo....5/22

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy  Oh, OK. How old is your daughter? Could she work?

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

In Philly, online schooling was cancelled until sometime mid April.  It was shut down previously because it discriminated against students who did not have access to the internet and/or have computers or some sort of iOS devices.

EDIT:  It appeas the actual online schooling will not start till the end of this month.  Even though "every" Philly student now have Chromebooks, it appears there are some that still have no internet access.  The city is still in negotions w/Comcast which is headquarted in Center City.

SOURCE:  6ABC

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

She just turned 15.  No, not able to work.  I wouldn't want her working now even if she could.  Just trying to come up with ideas to get her off the phone and IPad.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@PA Mom-mom 

In Philly, online schooling was cancelled until sometime mid April.  It was shut down previously because it discriminated against students who did not have access to the internet and/or have computers or some sort of iOS devices.

EDIT:  It appeas the actual online schooling will not start till the end of this month.  Even though "every" Philly student now have Chromebooks, it appears there are some that still have no internet access.  The city is still in negotions w/Comcast which is headquarted in Center City.

SOURCE:  6ABC

I don't understand.  Are you saying that they haven't been doing teleschool for months until everyone has a Chromebook and internet?

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

She just turned 15.  No, not able to work.  I wouldn't want her working now even if she could.  Just trying to come up with ideas to get her off the phone and IPad.

The summer is a great time to learn things they don't teach in school and the teen years are perfect for exploring interests so off the top of my head:

~ find ways to serve others every day (this is the key to happiness as well as helps curb entitled attitudes, etc)

~ read The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman & It's Just My Nature by Carol Tuttle to help you understand yourself and others (both easy reads)

~ google Dressing Your Truth and go through the free course and all the free videos you can (check youtube as well)

~ start an online business (learn to draw/paint, make jewelry or handicraft items, etc and sell on fb, instagram...)

~ learn a skill that will help you later (cooking, vegetable gardening, natural medicine, first aid, etc)

~ develop talents (photography, music, juggling, sign language, etc - check youtube)

~ physical activities (hula hoop - more than just at waist, acrobatics, hiking, ballroom dancing (check youtube), etc)

~ become well-read (at least read the cliff notes of the classics, etc)

~ memorize poems

~ if she plans on babysitting down the road, put together a kit and learn songs & games to entertain

hth Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I don't understand.  Are you saying that they haven't been doing teleschool for months until everyone has a Chromebook and internet?

@ScrapHappy  YUP! 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif