Valued Contributor

Re: Undetectable Tracker for Teen's Phone

@RollTide2008  1000% agree with you, mama.

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac I have State Farm's Drive Safe and Save device on my car. I don't drive much since I retired. My insurance went up last year and I called to talk about how to save money since I don't drive the commute any more. The DS&S device was advised. It records every mile I drive on a map and if I was on the phone, speeding, fast accelerations, and quick stops. I read about it and a lot of people didn't want that information being used by their insurance company. I wanted to try to it and see if I would save money. I think it made me a safer drive by being conscious of how I was driving. I saved $30 a month after 6 months of tracking. I was very happy about that.I just wanted to show my insurance carrier how little i drive. I know my premium covers more than just my driving such as theft, damage, etc. I would definitely put it on my daughter's car if she was still a young driver. I would tell her about it though. I would not track her without her knowledge. You can't escape the device if they think they are going to get around it. You would immediately know if they removed it.  
Honored Contributor

At some point, we have to trust our kids.  You say she's a good kid, then trust her.  You aren't concerned about accidents and driving, you just want to know where she is every moment of the day.  You kneed help with your parental anxiety.  

Respected Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
My kid has Life 360 on his phone. It’s not open for negotiations. I pay for the phone. If he doesn’t like my rules, he’s welcome to get his own phone and pay for himself. Without an electronic leash, he’ll find his freedom curtailed.

All his friends have it too. It just doesn’t seem to be an issue with them.

@RollTide2008 I have a 13yr old son and I recently installed the Life 360 app on his phone. Although he didn't protest this, it wouldn't have mattered if he did because I pay his phone bill so it wasn't up for discussion. As with your son, his friends also have the app installed on their phones.

Trusted Contributor

My son has this app on all three of his girl's phones and looks at it mainly when they are driving to and from their colleges when it is late. They are all at schools out of state, and of course, at different schools....the same one would be too easy!  I learned later he had it when they were in high school too but none of them were aware of it. I know one time it showed one of the girl's cars not moving for three hrs and he was livid when he found out she was partying with her friends at someone's house rather than going to a youth conference at church. Oopsie....she figured out he could track her.

Respected Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

@patticakes , how old is she?  

I only know on iPhones there is a find my friend that nobody has a clue it's on your phone.   So you both need the iPhones and the app is there and you can track her.  Very easy.  

I don't know anything about any other trackers or how her friends would know she is being tracked.  If she is in high school I am sure her friends' parents are also tracking them because we always worry about our kids' safety.  

But it all boils down to her age and who is payiing for the car, her phone, etc.  If she is an adult you live with the worry.  If she is underage just let her know if she doesn't start texting you when you want her to it is going on her phone.  Those are the options.  And see how fast she starts texting you.  😃

@Wsmom do you know what the app is called?

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234 , on the iPhone it is the Find My Friends app.  I believe it is an app already on the phone when you get it.  To be clear though the person you are "findiing" knows it's on their phone and has agreed to be connected to a person but in this case her friends would have no idea that her parents are checking if that is the concern.   

Respected Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

@panda1234 , on the iPhone it is the Find My Friends app.  I believe it is an app already on the phone when you get it.  To be clear though the person you are "findiing" knows it's on their phone and has agreed to be connected to a person but in this case her friends would have no idea that her parents are checking if that is the concern.   

@Wsmom @thank you for the info 

Respected Contributor

My SIL had some app on his phone and one of my granddaughter's car. I don't recall the name, but it saved countless hours of worry when she was driving back and forth to college 300 miles away. If it showed the car staying in one place for more than a few minutes, he would call to see how the trip was going. Usually she was waiting in line for gas or some other legit reason. You can track the car or the person.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patticakes Our kids are older than your daughter, but DH has enabled the find my friends feature on all of their iphones.  We trust them and they know that we trust them and are merely doing it as a safety measure in case something unexpected happens.