Respected Contributor

Re: Undetectable Tracker for Teen's Phone

@Kachina624 wrote:

I can envision such a device creating potentially dangerous situations if used by jealous adult boy/girlfriends or spouses to determine their location surreptitiously.  Seems like any company supporting such a program could face serious liability.

@Kachina624 That would be airtags which can be put anywhere on a person or their belongings to track someone.  Many people are having stalking issues due to that device.

Honored Contributor

@Linmo    I've heard about these tags recently.  I wondered how they'd work to put one on your dog?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 I think it works on a pet, just like a lost object, but Apple discourages it's use on pets due to liability issues.  They don't want to be held responsible if your loose pet is wearing an airtag and then hit by a car.

Valued Contributor

Do not let anyone discourage you from doing this. You are the one who has to fret over your child operating a heavy machine capable of 80 miles per hour. I remember those days when I had to resort to reading the odometer on the car to see how far it was being driven. It is a fraught time in a teenager's life and even worse for the parent. Trust or not. Good kid or not.

Put the app on her phone whether she wants it or not. Tell her a condition of driving with a license plate and insurance you are paying for, is that the app stays on.

One of the things I always told my kids is that if they ever needed me to get them home, for whatever reason, they could call at anytime and no questions would be asked. I would put that out there too.

You are doing a good job, mama. Your worries are totally legitimate. Anyone having raised/is raising teenagers knows that.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't judge anyone on doing this.  People know their kids and what to worry about better than any of us.

In some cases you'd rather than worry about what if they found out, than worry about what if they went missing and you didn't.  I wouldn't shame anyone because invading some kids privacy might keep them alive.  People probably know what's serious and what isn't. 

But 30 year olds making them check in?  That seems a little much even to me.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would never have done this to my son and of course it could not be done back in the '70's when I was a teenager.  I suppose I was lucky my son always came home 30 minutes or so before his curfew and that was driving the 20 to 30 minutes from town to our home out in the country.  You just live with it and trust the way you raised your child.

I would pitch a fit if someone tried to track me.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

If your're a minor, your whereabouts are my business as a parent. If I was concerned, I would install it and I would make my child aware. I don't understand why a parent would feel the need to sneak around about it.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor

@MarkeieMark wrote:

This is just one more reason I am so glad I grew up when I did.

I agree. Carrying phones around 24/7 has contributed to the downfall of society. So many young people depressed and demoralized today much of it caused by addiction to technology. I see young people obsessed with screen time constantly tethered to a phone.  Would like to see us return to the years before all this technology arrrived. Society was more cordial.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

@MarkeieMark wrote:

This is just one more reason I am so glad I grew up when I did.

I agree. Carrying phones around 24/7 has contributed to the downfall of society. So many young people depressed and demoralized today much of it caused by addiction to technology. I see young people obsessed with screen time constantly tethered to a phone.  Would like to see us return to the years before all this technology arrrived. Society was more cordial.

Not true.  I was at a family gathering and the 60 somethings and 70 somethings were locked on their smartphones.

It's not just young people.  Most people young and old want to be connected. @Reever 

Respected Contributor

I am surprised so many people think it would be wrong to want to know your child's whereabouts and if they are safe. SIL put a tracker on my granddaughter's car, not her phone. She never knew it was there...he took it off after she had been driving about 6 months. He wanted to make sure she went where she said she was going and was able to see how long it took her to get to her destination; no speeding detected, so she was good to go. 

If OP's kid isn't texting when she is supposed to that is an easy problem to fix. Take away the phone and/or the car. She will probably hate losing the phone more than the phone.