Valued Contributor

Undetectable Tracker for Teen's Phone

Anyone know of a totally undetectable tracker for iphone so that we can know daughter's location and if she's arrived at school, work, etc.  She's a newly licensed driver and she's not very mindful of texting us when she arrives at he locations.  She forgets constantly and we're left wondering if she arrived safely.  For some reason she's really resistant to Life 360, etc.  Not sure why except we think she's embarassed to have friends see it on her phone and she's wanting to be more independent.  She's a good kid and we're not really worried about where's she's going as much as if she arrived safely.

Honored Contributor

Re: Undetectable Tracker for Teen's Phone

@patticakes   I would do the following.......

#1 - Go into your local Apple Store & ask them if they have what you are looking for.

#2 - Call Apple's online Apple Store & ask one of the sales reps.

#3 - Call your auto insurance company.  Some of them do have "tracking" devices to determine "safe" drivers.  I don't believe they are for phones.  I think these type of devices are placed in the car somewhere.  You will need to check your auto ins co about that.

#4 - If your child keeps "forgettingrolleyes.gif to text you upon her arrival, restrict her driving privilage by taking away her car keys.

Me personally, this would be my #1. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Since she's a "good kid", I suggest you learn to deal with your own worry issues instead of shifting it to something else because you're going to have to at some point - unless you plan on tracking her well into adulthood. This will be much more beneficial to your relationship. How would you feel if you were tracked? I know I wouldn't like it for a few reasons.

Esteemed Contributor

@patticakes , how old is she?  

I only know on iPhones there is a find my friend that nobody has a clue it's on your phone.   So you both need the iPhones and the app is there and you can track her.  Very easy.  

I don't know anything about any other trackers or how her friends would know she is being tracked.  If she is in high school I am sure her friends' parents are also tracking them because we always worry about our kids' safety.  

But it all boils down to her age and who is payiing for the car, her phone, etc.  If she is an adult you live with the worry.  If she is underage just let her know if she doesn't start texting you when you want her to it is going on her phone.  Those are the options.  And see how fast she starts texting you.  😃

Honored Contributor

@patticakes I totally understand how you feel!  My own DD is the same way.  However she's much older.  Believe me, I spent many times worrying about both of my kids.

My DD and DS are both in their mid thirties.  When either of them go somewhere I don't text to ask if they have arrived safely, I instead will comment on what a nice time we had seeing them, etc.  Usually I will get a response so I know they are okay...sorry this probably won't work for you but I would make her text you just to let you know she's okay.....otherwise take away the privilege of driving.  

Trusted Contributor

Wouldn't an undetectable tracker only cause more problems? How are you going to confront her about any inpropriety?

Just tell her you are placing a tracker on her phone because you are concerned about her safety. Period. Once she has a few more miles under her belt, and has earned your trust you can agree to remove it. 

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Trusted Contributor

This is just one more reason I am so glad I grew up when I did.

Esteemed Contributor

@patticakes   All iPhones (iPads and mac computers) come with a pre installed Find my phone app pre installed that also allows you to find a friend.  It's round and green.  It has to be activated by both parties and can be turned on and off easily.  Her friends would be none the wiser.  It is not limited by distance. 

DD made it part of the deal when kids got their phones and when they started to drive.   Every family is different so whatever works for yours.  

As the "Nana" we all share.  They track me when I am driving to see them. Turn it on when takung long trips.  

Trusted Contributor

I get what you are saying. My kids are the same way. I went through a divorce a year ago and moved 12 hours away from my kids. They will only turn it on when they are driving to visit, even then it is reluctantly. 

I have my location turned on so they can see me since I am alone here. 

Use the Apple find friends in the Find My app. it works well. 

Honored Contributor

I can envision such a device creating potentially dangerous situations if used by jealous adult boy/girlfriends or spouses to determine their location surreptitiously.  Seems like any company supporting such a program could face serious liability.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment