Esteemed Contributor

We had a great Halloween, lots of kids of various ages.  All of them polite and cute as could be. I love Halloween,  I have jack o lanterns and a scary skeleton and a spider in a web. So much fun after all the angst of last Halloween.👻

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

I had a bag of 250 pieces.  I put it out on porch, on tv tray.  I told DH I didn't want to be getting up and down

when bag was empty I brought in tv tray. 

I'll be doing it this way from now on.

Respected Contributor

No trick or treaters came by tonight.  Sad!  I didn't have high hopes when I noticed all my neighbors had their lights off.  Not right!   Our lights were on, but the street still looked pretty dark.  Oh well - too bad, would have loved to see a few cute kids dressed in their costumes.

Honored Contributor

I only had about 30 trick or treaters.  All were polite and all said thank you.

I had to tell them that they could walk across my lawn....they were taking the walkway to the side of my house, past the garage to get to my front door.

we have had hundreds in the past of all ages...from a few months old to age 16 or 17 since we lived here and I have never had a rude or impolite person.

except an adult women who came hours after it was over and demanded candy once many years ago.

The kids never disappoint me.

Respected Contributor

hub and I went out to eat then shopping at Walmart. Long enough to avoid trick or treaters. We are old. We did our time when our kids were young. 😬 I confessed to my daughter today that it wasn't hot cocoa in my travel cup as we went around the neighborhood. 🍷🍷🍷 I mean how else was I supposed to stay warm and good natured during a two hour walk in sleet? Haha. This is my least favorite so called holiday, in part because of my religious beliefs. But I know scads of people who celebrate Halloween like it's their last night on earth. Different strokes. 

Harmonize the World
Super Contributor

I'm with you.  Didn't have that many this year, but I don't mind either.  Usually a couple aren't polite, and I'll yell out You're Welcome, really loud, and get a thank you back.

Respected Contributor

Halloween is a night for the kids to have fun and celebrate!  

We usually have more than a hundred children, all ages, babies in arms to teenagers, and yes people drive to our street, who cares? I live in a big city and I prepare for anything.

We always expect a lot of visitors, and extra candy can go to be shared at work the next day. This year the kids started early--5:30 PM, and our last guest was about 8:15 PM.  

Our house is very spooky with decorations, mysterious music and orange lights, because we do this for all the kids. (Nobody has ever tried to come in--sometimes they get scared and run away!)

Many houses on our street go all out as well.

We have a big plastic pumpkin full of candy and WE dole out the candy in a handful into the child's bag--no complaints, no problems--a very efficient and effective process.  

I think letting children see all the candy or choose the candy adds unnecessary confusion to the experience.

I believe the kids were especially excited this year, and so they may be a little giddy in their behavior, but I would never stop giving out candy just because of the behavior of a few children.  All adults must gently and kindly set an example for young people and teach them the traditions.  

Maybe it is time to stop celebrating the holiday if you can no longer find happiness in the excitement of children.

Respected Contributor

I'll tell you what is ridiculous............

Adults (not 18 year olds) but 30 plus walking around in

costumes with their bags collecting, no kids, just adults.

That's desperate!

Respected Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

The high school principal lives two doors down from us. If she saw any of her high schoolers out going door-to-door, she would give them a hard time; she is pretty tough.

Those kids are choosing childhood over drinking and partying.  I'd rather they have candy.

My friend had a guy come to her door and ask for a beer.

Honored Contributor

Our neighborhood has been called the "roller coaster".  It's single lane with a center grass median and has a nearly blind curve.

A child couldn't trick or treat here unless it was one end that has about 10 houses or the other end which is much the same flatness and would absolutely have to be with an adult.

We didn't have anyone, and it would have upset our pup.

I did see some darling costumes at work today as they walked past our windows.