Contributor

Toddler ballet outift ... need advice

I would like to get my just turning two years old granddaughter "dancing" for fun at home, with a view to getting her into ballet or other dance classes down the road.  We would like to spin and twirl, point our toes, plie' and just have fun for now. 

I would like to get her a cute little leotard, matching tutu, tights and slippers without spending a lot of money.  Do you have any suggestions about what to get and where to get it?  I've been looking online at Amazon and there are lots of options.  It will probably be difficult to get her mommie to send measurements, so generic sizing would be nice. 

I have picked up several costume-y tutus in various sizes for "dress up", but would like something that looks like an "official" dance class outfit. 

Thank you so much! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Toddler ballet outift ... need advice

[ Edited ]

Check out Walmart.

Since it's so close to Halloween you will have many choices but also go check out the toy department.   There should be a section for little girl dress-up outfits.   Also most towns have a dance store with all the goodies necessary. to dress up your little darling.

@SuperShopper

Trusted Contributor

Target has a lot of cute ballet gear for toddlers and up in their kids section. And I think it's there all year 'round.

Valued Contributor

Is there a dance studio near by? Most dance teachers keep a supply of basic leotards, tights, and dance skirts. They might even have toddler classes. You're never too young or too old to dance!

Regular Contributor

Target has some cute leotards.  Discount Dance supply online has nice prices.  A local store could help you with sizing.  Leotards at that age aren't very expensive thank goodness.  But you could also try ebay for gently used ones.  Wish I ewere organized enough to sell on ebay.  My daughter's leos were always in beautiful shape after she outgrew them because she was such a little mite and didn't stretch out anything.

Honored Contributor

How does your daughter or daughter-in-law feel about you wanting to get her into dance class at some point down the road?

Contributor

Thank you all so much for the information!  I popped into our local Target tonight and found a cute pale pink Danskin Freestyle leotard with subtle rhinestone trim and a matching net tutu with sparkles on it.  They also had a soft chiffon skirt that was lovely .... I was torn as to which to get.  I checked Target online and found that another Target store a few miles away has the pink ballet slippers in her "grow into" size and matching tights, but those may be a bit big.  If I can't pick them up in person, I will order them to be shipped.

I mentioned the idea of dancing to my daughter when we were FaceTime-ing tonight and couldn't resist showing her and my granddaughter the ballet outfit.  My granddaughter's eyes lit up and she proceeded to "dance" for me.  I just want to have some fun with her, introduce her to some lovely ballet music .... Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, Waltz of the Flowers, etc. .... and get her interested in moving .... pointing her toes, spinning & twirling, moving her arms ..... fun things I remember from my childhood dance classes.  I used to spend hours leaping joyfully in my own little world. 

I was always such a brainiac that I have led a very sedentary life with my nose in a book or a computer, and now I have developed health issues that go with that.  The adults in my life never encouraged healthy activity, so I want to do that for my grands.  The boys are pretty active in sports and just being rambunctious, so dance may be a fun thing for us girls ..... I'll be dancing with the boys too.  One of them was showing me his Ninja dance moves tonight. 

I need to move too.  I use the Pilates machine I purchased from the Q and would love to develop those long lean muscles that Marjolein talks about, and the gracefulness, strength and balance that goes with them. Moving also helps control blood sugar which is an issue for many adults today and for me.

I love music, and dance is a great way to connect and make memories with little ones.  I want my grands to have fond memories of how much I loved them and loved being with them when I am gone.  I hope that we have many many joyfilled years together. 

My daughter seems to appreciate all the love and joy we share together.  We'll cross the bridge of dance classes down the road.  They are so busy that taking on another class is not likely for awhile. They live several hours away, so I can't take her to classes myself.  In the meantime, we will be butterflies or fairies or twinkling stars .... and probably scare the cat LOL!!!  "Mia" will NOT be wearing a tutu!!!!

Thanks again for your help!

Honored Contributor

@SuperShopper

Our granddaughter just started a dance class. She is three almost 4. The class is divided into ballet, tap and gymnastics! 

She loves to twirl...

and started her at home dancing to “Shimmer and Shine” cartoon and the “Witches dance” in a Mickey Mouse show? 

I will find out from DD where she got the dance togs.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~