Trusted Contributor

Re: This is how I feel about my sons

Marvelous video! Interesting commercial advertising. 

My mother is gone almost 20 years and I know she was just like those scenes depicted when it came to me, my older brother, and younger sister. A ferocious protector, tremendous encourager, marvelous admirer to all of her kids. She built confidence and competence into us by her standing by us.

One reason I have been successful and thriving even with her gone is because of the start I had having her for a mother. 

Respected Contributor

My son is 9 years old and I am like mother eagle when it comes to him. Everyone knows if you mess with my son, I'm coming for you!

Esteemed Contributor

I consider being a mom to my son the most important job I’ve ever had!! It’s been more rewarding than I even imagined.DH always credits me for the wonderful, caring , hard working young man he’s become.

I will always protect my son.I will always stand up for him.I will always worry about him.And I will always be there to tell him what I think or to just listen & give him my support. 

I tell him that I love him & how proud I am of him all the time.Life is to short.I don’t ever want him to have any doubts about how much he is loved !!

Respected Contributor

" For all of us that have been called to motherhood—the most powerful calling in the world..." 

20180428_062154.jpg

Have a Happy Mother's Day!Vintage Flower Cliparts

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

I get the message of the commercial. And for the big things, we know we would lay down our lives for our children. 

But it kind of bothers me when I see things like the scene in the video where the other boys are taking his hat, and 'messing' with him, and the elephant mom comes roaring in. 

I'll step in front of a speeding bus to push my son to safety, but my real job is to teach him how to look both ways before he crosses the street. 

My job is to stand back sometimes, even when it hurts, and let him figure out how to handle people and situations on his own. He is only going to learn by doing, not by my doing it for him. 

I think when people complain about the younger generation and their behavior/attitudes/practices, part of it falls back on parents who are so willing to step in and do or fix it all for them all the time. 

We have to, at all ages, allow them to work through, fix, handle, and sometimes fail all by themselves. We just need to be off to the side, waiting to attack/protect ONLY after it is obvious they are in real danger.

I can fight my child's battles, or I can be a better parent and teach him how to fight (then let him do it) his own.

Respected Contributor

@Catiele

Oh if only I could go back for just one day. Love my boys(men).

I look around my home, at the photos of my Children, both young and grown up.  I am saying on a regular basis "I WANT A DO-OVER!"  I have 5, and it all just went by too darn fast!

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Trusted Contributor

I love it! And I'd feel the same way about daughters.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

mominohio, I agree with a lot of what you said. The hard part is knowing what to do, and when to do it.

Respected Contributor

@Mistic @Catiele

I so agree! I too wish I could do it again!

@Mistic

You're so lucky to have 5. One of my biggest regrets in my life is not having had more children. Unfortunately, we didn't think we could have afforded to at the time. Now I wish I'd have just done it and muddled through! But I'm very grateful for the two beautiful son's I have! They are absolute love to me!😇🙌

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

I had a really nice Mothers Day at my sons house. The next day I called them both and said  I am happy to be your mother.