Super Contributor
On 10/31/2014 YorkieonmyPillow said:

If I wanted to go to niece's house, I would GO. I think at this stage in your life, you have earned the right to do what you want.

Sometimes when we try to live our lives by pleasing others, no one is happy.

Do what YOU want to do and don't feel guilty!

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu316/ladybug318817/Country%20Living/cntrylvng_lb0003.gif

No comment.........I just LOVE this illustration!

Trusted Contributor

If I were you, I would go to your niece's with one daughter and whoever else wants to go. I agree your granddaughters shouldn't be dictating how everyone spends Thanksgiving, but if their mothers allow this, there's nothing you can do. Go to your niece's and enjoy the holiday.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

Shame on your daughter who isn't performing as a parent. She should just STATE that the kids and she are going to your niece's home for the holiday - PERIOD. And civil moods should prevail from those teens - or 30 days without cells, computers, TV, etc. should be the punishment.

Contributor

Can I ask if your niece sent individual invitations, or called each daughter individually? I know I would feel a little weird if I got a second-hand "you're welcome to come," kind of invitation. Also, are there any fathers/husbands who might have an opinion on this? I know my husband would definitely be a factor.

Trusted Contributor

Personally, I like to spend the holidays with my children. It is very gracious for your niece to invite everyone but under these circumstances, I would decline. If one of my children was ill and/or could not travel, I would cook/bring all the fixing to her house and have Thanksgiving with my immediate family there. Of course it is not written in stone nor is it a requirement and many families spend holidays apart but that would not be my choice. If you want to go that is certainly your prerogative.

Honored Contributor
On 11/2/2014 optio100 said:

Can I ask if your niece sent individual invitations, or called each daughter individually? I know I would feel a little weird if I got a second-hand "you're welcome to come," kind of invitation. Also, are there any fathers/husbands who might have an opinion on this? I know my husband would definitely be a factor.

OMG no, we are all very close in this family and casual. We would wonder what had gotten into her if she did that. It would seem very odd to us.

There are no husbands, all of my daughters are divorced. But there is one "ex" who may come. They have that kind of relationship.

And my ex lives in California with his third wife and had a stroke over ten years ago. He hasn't seen my family in almost 45 years. And he hated them all anyway.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor
On 11/2/2014 Jerseygirl1266 said:

Personally, I like to spend the holidays with my children. It is very gracious for your niece to invite everyone but under these circumstances, I would decline. If one of my children was ill and/or could not travel, I would cook/bring all the fixing to her house and have Thanksgiving with my immediate family there. Of course it is not written in stone nor is it a requirement and many families spend holidays apart but that would not be my choice. If you want to go that is certainly your prerogative.

I do too. And I will. They will all be there with me.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor
On 11/2/2014 JamicaJammer said:

Shame on your daughter who isn't performing as a parent. She should just STATE that the kids and she are going to your niece's home for the holiday - PERIOD. And civil moods should prevail from those teens - or 30 days without cells, computers, TV, etc. should be the punishment.

Well, she had six pregnancies and four miscarriages to get these two. So she spoils them because she didn't think she was going to have any.

While it is sometimes frustrating, I understand it. She is a very good mother and they are very good kids.

Formerly Ford1224
Esteemed Contributor

I just went and read it. WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT?

Honored Contributor
On 11/5/2014 YorkieonmyPillow said:

I just went and read it. WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT?

I can't even find it, I don't know how to do that and wouldn't bother anyway. I don't even know this person. I posted on the other thread about it.

Formerly Ford1224