Honored Contributor

NellieGirl:

If I were in your shoes, I'd ask my son to write the thank you notes and mail them.

He can sign each note "Love, ........... and .........., and Baby ..........

That would be the easiest/best thing to do, imo.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

NellieGirl:

If I were in your shoes, I'd ask my son to write the thank you notes and mail them.

He can sign each note "Love, ........... and .........., and Baby ..........

That would be the easiest/best thing to do, imo.  

Yes, there really isn't any reason a guy can't do this. 

Respected Contributor

@nelliegirl wrote:

In response to suggesting my son write them.  I agree.  However, the only excuse I can give for him is that he works 6 long days a week (10 hour days) as an attorney and has night court 1 night a week and she is a stay at home mom.

Your son found time to make a baby so he should be able to find time to step up and thank those who gave his baby gifts.

Trusted Contributor

When I host a shower I always make the "suggestion" that we should all agree that the guest of honor is super-busy and certainly doesn't need to write thank you notes to those of us who are here to hear her thank yous.  Everyone is quick to agree.  It seems like over-kill to me to thank and hug everyone and then have to write a thank you note.  Those who have sent gifts and are not in attendance should receive a note.

I think weddings are different because you often don't even see the gift unwrapped.  

Respected Contributor

I can honestly say all the Christmas, shower gifts, wedding gifts, etc., and any gift I have  mailed I can never remember receiving a thank you note.  Sometimes I have called to make sure present received as gave never heard a word.

Not a good sign of the times for me as I was always taught if no verbal thank and you cannot attend opening of gift you send a note.

Honored Contributor

So I was going to post something wonderful that my little (well she's almost 6' tall) pumpkin did for me yesterday when I saw a title near and dear to my heart....'thank you notes'.

I didn't look but I've probably already commented on this here before.

I can't for the life of me understand why in the name of Heaven people can't take the time to send a little note when someone does a kind deed or gives a gift.  

Anybody?  Anybody have an answer?  OK, I get it...these people are inconsiderate.

It's not like I expect them to donate blood in my name...or name their kid after me...I'm just asking for a thank you (get out the crayons and printer paper) and write "thanks" and sign the name....

Phew!  My heart rate is slowing down...how do I know..my watch says so...

I think out of the zillions (yes, with a Z) of things that bothers me...that is probably number maybe 3...numbers 1 and 2 are rude unkind people.

I think the OP just needs to give up on ever getting a thank you note.

In our family my girls grew up seeing me write them all of the time.

My 3 daughters will send me thank you notes for everything.  The oldest has her husband sign the card and each kid (she has 4...3 are teenagers) say what they're thanking me for.

My middle daughter is just now divorced and is going through a hard time (emotionally) yet, even she sends thank you notes.  She made me a card from a piece of printer paper because she knows how much I appreciate it.

Here's what I've observed.  Most people these days thinks that whatever is going on in THEIR lives is more important than anything anyone else is going through.

I make a big deal when someone holds open the door for me (as opposed to normally letting it slam in my face).

Just on the opposite side of the coin....if it slams in my face, I'll yell "Thank you".  Maybe 8 times out of 10 they'll turn around and look (they know what I'm 'saying').

I think I'm in an onery mood today.  Can you tell when you're in an onery mood?

I'm going to go look at the video my youngest daughter (39) sent me yesterday.  

She does things like this all of the time.  What?  What?  You want to know what I'm beating my chest bragging about pertaining to my pumpkin?  OK, I'll tell you.....You sure you want to know?

She sent me some videos her boyfriend took of her skiing down the slopes.  Some are of her back so I can see her and some she was carrying the camera.

It was as if I was right there with her going fast down these high slopes (did I mention she's an amazing skier) with the wind coming at her/me and her/my hair flapping in the air.  

I could almost feel the cool breeze hitting my face.  The little flakes of snow melting as they hit her/my skin.  She was laughing with glee.

It was so obvious she was happy.  I was able to experience her happiness at that moment.

I went through a lot trying to decide if I wanted to have 'one more baby'.  

My middle daughter was 5 years old, my oldest (her sister) was 7 years old.  They were both in school.

I quit work when I had the oldest daughter and never went back.  I knew I wouldn't have to go back to work, but I wanted to do more volunteer work and renovate more houses...I loved doing that.

But my Dr told me I needed to decide if I wanted one more baby (I was 36 years old) or stop because I kept hemmoraging.  I needed a hysterectomy like yesterday.

I've always been lucky in that I decided exactly when I wanted to get pregnant and ...poof...it happene.  My 2 girls are exactly within 1 week 2 years apart.  She might have come on the oldest birthday but I talked the Dr into inducing 1 week (exactly) before.  I'd read that 2 years apart was perfect age difference.

So, back to this baby girl of mine.  My husband kept saying it was my decision since my life would be affected more than his.  Even though once they were born HE got up in the middle of the night and fed them.  He liked doing it and I didn't.  I had all day with them he said.

I prayed so much asking GOD to help me make the decision.  I asked friends what they thought.

In the end I decided to have one more baby.

Everyone wanted a boy.  My husband was the last in his line of direct decendents that came here from England.  There's an entire town with his name.  There are 3 schools with his name.

But he said it didn't matter as long as the baby was healthy.

I wanted a girl because I loved my other two girls so much.  

Out popped my baby girl (back then it was a toss up on boy/girl).  But the Dr said, "Based on the heartbeat, I'm telling you this is a baby boy".

Anyway, she was a delight from the minute she was born.  But before then I was sick as a dog.

We finally had to tell my other two girls I was having a baby before we wanted to because they thought their mom was dying.  I vomited every day...all day...

So, I guess the moral of this story is if you pray and ask for guidance, I truly believe God helped me decide to have this wonderful baby girl.

There will be days when maybe I'm a little blue (we all get that way) and I'll get a text or she'll call and say, "I was just thinking of you.  I'm sending you a picture of Luna Lee (that's her beloved dog).  Then she'll say, "I love you more than all the leaves on all the trees in the entire world".

That's something we've always said to each other.  Then I'd say, "I love you more than all of the tears ever shed from people all over the world".  Things like that.  

Ever since I can remember we've done that.  She's found cards that say things like that.  She's had pillows printed that have pictures of her and the dog with sayings on them.

My oldest daughter isn't as mushy but she does so many kind things to help make my life easier.  More than anything, she's always allowed me to take her children off on adventures for the day.  Just us going to the shoe store, the book store and so on.

Even though they are teenagers, they drive me these days but we still go on our 'adventures'.

They help keep me young.

I don't mention all this stuff to brag.  It might seem that way but you guys don't know me so it's not important.

I just want you guys to understand how wonderful families can be.

If you haven't been in touch with your grandchildren in awhile, send them a little note to say, "I'm thinking of you".  

I do that with my great nieces and nephews.  I try to remember all birthdays.  I send little gift cards for $25 or so...just to let them know I'm thinking of them.

I believe young people are the most perfect thing this country has to offer.

I gripe and complain about some of them (mostly the 20 somethings).  But for the most part this country is pretty gosh darn lucky to have so many amazing young people.

I do worry about my oldest daughter's generation (maybe a tad older).  I think they've created somewhat (not all) a group of people who expect to get accolades for everything they accomplish...life is not like that people.....they'll be waiting for a long time.

This daughter (the 39 year old) said that to me the other night.  She is the boss over 20 some people.  She said they expect her to constantly "reward" them if they do the slightest 'good job'.

She said, "Mom, when we raked the leaves or vacuumed the house or folded the clothes, you didn't constantly run over every time a towel was folded and say, "Good job", did you?"

I said, "No.  If you remembered your Dad would say, 'You live in this house.  You play in this yard why shouldn't you help with the chores"?

If something special was done we'd acknowledge it. 

Here's an example.  If they made a good grade on something or if they felt really good about something THEY did, we'd make it a "Susan Day".  They'd get to pick the dinner meal or we'd go out to dinner, etc.

You'd think kids would do that every day, but most learn that's for special times and they didn't abuse it.

But my daughter said she's going crazy at work because they constantly want her to rcognize every single thing they do and put them up for 'rewards'.

I told her she's not going to change them because it's too late.  Just keep doing what you're doing and if you feel it's your best...that's all you can do.

Anyway, if you managed to get to the end of this....wow!  I'm impressed.

I typed the dang (I'm thinking about the three letter word) thing and I don't even want to read it.

Now go kiss or hug or write an email, text something to someone you love and tell them.  It will make them smile but more importantly....it will make all of you lovely, kind ladies smile.  Love you guys, Annabellethecat/Linda

ps.  Did you know in Spanish Linda means beautiful.  I met a little girl (Latino) today.  Her name was Linda...she was running all over the CVS.  I talked to her mom for a minute.  That's how I found out about Linda.  I didn't want to tell her that when I was a kid I was far from beautiful...so maybe it skips people!  Ha!

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

I didn't read your whole manifesto, but you asked why some don't send thank-you notes, I can only speak for myself, but if a friend hands me a gift, or does  something for me, I say, "Thank-you" right then and there. I don't feel the need to break out the stationary and write out a thank-you, when I have already said it.

If someone holds the door open for me, I don't fall all over myself, making a big production when I say "Thank-you". Just a simple "Thank-you" will do.

Likewise, if they don't hold the door open for me, I don't scream "YOU'RE WELCOME!", like some crazy person.

If someone mails me a gift, I will either call them and tell them "Thank-you", or send a thank-you in an e-mail.

Again, stationary not needed.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Super Contributor

maybe they can't afford the postage. stamps are costly these days.

Honored Contributor
Ask her if you can help by watching the baby while she writes them....tell her you know she must be getting stressed out with not having had time to write them yet....if she refuses...I would wash my hands of it. Your son should do it if she won’t..,no matter how many hours he works.
Honored Contributor

I would rather not get a thank-you note than the generic one I received recently...

"Thank you for the wedding gift. It was very thoughtful of you. I am sure we will use it." 

This was for a donation we made to a nature conservancy donation they had requested in lieu of other gifts. 

Why do you think thank-you notes are no longer sent anymore?

We don't even get gifts acknowledged when we mail them...at least a thank you would let us know the pkg arrived.