Valued Contributor

Reminds me of an episode of Everyone Loves Raymond. Amy wasn't writing thank yous as fast as Marie wanted her to. Woman LOL

Yes, thank yous should be written, but it seems to be a dying art.  I have given several gifts lately to brides and grooms, and have recieved nothing.  It's a shame. People think you "owe" them a gift. They weren't taught to thank the giver, but you'd think they'd have enough sense to know to. So ungrateful. 

Respected Contributor

New babies keep one super busy, but after two months, I am sure there is at least two hours the "couple" can find to write them now.   

Had the same situation with my cousin's son...never saw a Thank You, but this couple for some reason displays an 'air of entitlement', so sad.

Respected Contributor

Re: Thank you notes

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I'm probably in the minority here, but if I give a gift, I don't need a hand written thank-you.  

I'll take a "thank-you" in person, text, heck, even on FB.

And if they don't thank me at all?

I'm not going to get mad over it.

Life goes on.

When I get gifts, I always thank the giver.

Oh, and I'm a Gen-X'er.

I agree.   If someone thanks me in person I don't need a written note.   They can thank me in an email, voicemail, or text.  Just say thanks in some manner.  It doesn't have to be a handwritten note.

Oh and I'm an early baby boomer.

Honored Contributor

@nelliegirl wrote:

In response to suggesting my son write them.  I agree.  However, the only excuse I can give for him is that he works 6 long days a week (10 hour days) as an attorney and has night court 1 night a week and she is a stay at home mom.

If your son is up to writing them, he should do so. His wife could be struggling with decreased energy, depression, feelings of being overwhelmed, or exhaustion. 

Honored Contributor

I gave my boss a card for a Jewish holiday once.  He read it, said thanks, and right in front of me, turned around in his chair and threw it in the trash.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

I hate to say that things are different to day.  When my son and dil were given gifts from friends of mine who they had never met or knew I emphatically told them to send a thank you and gave them the addresses and stamps.  I was stunned to know that my dil had never been taught to send thank yous.  She asked what she should say, I told her at the very least thank you.  She got them right out.  I am so fortunate to have a great relationshiip with them.  I now have my grands age 7 and 12 always write a thank you if a friend of mine sends a gift.  You never know what they are going to write or draw, but they seem to enjoy, they write it and I pass it along without looking to see what they have said.  My friends always get a chuckle.

Frequent Contributor

I had the same problem with my son and daughter-in-law.  She always had an excuse: she was too busy, she didn't feel good, she forgot the cards at work.....  All my friends and family took the time and expense to send lovely gifts for the baby.  When I gently mentioned it to them once again, they wound up having a fight, and I don't want to be the cause of that.  In the end my son wrote all the thank you's.  She is just a lazy *****.  She always was. 

Contributor

seems like not many people send thank you cards these days more than in the past. even then, some never said a thank you or sent card.  i had to learn to let it go sadly!

Valued Contributor

Maybe she resented that you gave her thank you cards....it is almost as if you are signaling that you don't trust she will do it.  That is just one thought.   I think really if you think about it, the real issue is that you are embarrased and I totally get that.  I have to wonder if someone at the shower wrote down the gift and name of the person who gifted it.  There could be a million reasons but I think ultimately you shoule let it go, it just may not happen and do you really want to start this relationship this way?  Also, we never know what happens behind closed doors.   She could have post partum depression and/or maybe is just sleep deprieved.  Instead of focusing on this, maybe focus on helping her with some things around the house etc.

Trusted Contributor

I am getting used to receiving email Thank You's which I find offensive but as I said, I am adjusting.