Respected Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

Stay at home mom with a new infant is not a walk in the park. How many notes need to be written? Thank you notes don't have to be long just a couple of sentences and mention the gift. Done! If it were my son and I knew neither one were going to write the notes, I'd write send them to my friends and family. Then I'd tell them not to expect more showers or birthday gifts from my friends and family. 

Agree and it's not that hard - most of my cards are pretty much all the same; however, I always personalize it by including one sentence acknowledging the actual gift received from that person.

Respected Contributor

Why can't you help her write the Thankyou notes? 

Respected Contributor

WOW....stop making excuses for your son.  (He's so busy, blah, blah, blah).  Guess what???? she's busy too, as a new mom.  Your son knows the people that gave them gifts he should be writing the thank you notes.  STOP ENABLING HIM BY MAKING EXCUSES.

Respected Contributor

I have gotten thank you notes from the male side of the couple. They sometimes split the thank yous. She writes to her people, he writes them to his people. I am sorry, but even a new mom has a few minutes to write the thank yous. He or she can do a few a day if there are so many. This seems to be a bigger problem than writing thank yous. Stay out of it. You did your best.

Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't say anything to her.  It's already been two months so it's safe to say that thank you notes aren't coming.  Unfortunately, not everyone sends them.    

Honored Contributor

Re: Thank you notes

[ Edited ]

@nelliegirl Tell your SON to get on the stick and write them HIMSELF. He is a parent of this baby who was gifted so tell HIM to write the notes.

You CAN'T say a word to the mother without causing trouble.

I spent years working for busy attorneys and he can do one a day until they are done.

Stop making excuses for him.

Respected Contributor

Re: Thank you notes

[ Edited ]

No. Do not nag and do not criticize your adult son and his wife because they are not doing what you want them to do. Enjoy your grandchild.

Esteemed Contributor

I was informed by my husband's family that no one does that anymore. He has a large family so we have many engagements, weddings and babies. My view is that it is common curtesy. I would settle for a text just stating that you received the gift/check. I think it's rude since you obviously expect a gift. We live 2500 miles away from all of them. 

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

That's a hard decision.  You did everything you could.  I think it's very inconsiderate of her to put you in this position.  I guess thank you notes are a thing of the past, but I would like to think I'm wrong.

I think a note for gift is never out of fashion,  

Honored Contributor

Seems like both of them should be caring for the baby -  and that includes writing some of those notes. DS is not off the hook in my world.