Respected Contributor

Re: Teacher Gifts??? Got good ideas?

On 11/23/2014 Liz123 said:

I work at a school. Staff are always appreciative of anything, especially a hand written note of thanks. Five dollar gift cards seem to be most common, with a nice note inside.

Agree!

Valued Contributor

On 11/23/2014 NickNack said:

My sister is a teacher, and her favorite gift is a Gift card. She get them to Starbucks, Target and other places and is very appreciative.

I agree. My sister is a teacher and she would be thrilled with a Dunkin Donuts gift card. Come to think of it, so would I, lol.
Regular Contributor

My very favorite gifts are, and have always been, pictures and or cards made by the children with a note from them. We know your children well and understand how much time is spent creating these by those little handsSmiley Happy When parents add a personal note it is extra special.

Honored Contributor

I agree with something nice for the classroom that all the children can enjoy.

With a hand written note from the student.

For older students, a gift card from a local business.

Teachers are very special people that are with are children more than their family.

Children are our future, teachers are a big part of that future{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Super Contributor

As a former teacher, I never expected a gift but a thoughtful card or note would have always been welcomed. Otherwise a small ($5 limit) gift card from Target to purchase supplies or books/games for my classroom. Our school only gave us $75 each year for classroom supplies so often I had to spend my own funds.
Esteemed Contributor

Loved handwritten notes from both the parents and the students when taught. Gift cards are also welcome.

Respected Contributor

On 11/23/2014 Reever said: These people have very good jobs, pensions and an inordinate amount of days off. I do not give them any gifts. Sorry if I sound like an old tim curmudgeon but they make more money than I do and no one gives me a gift for doing my job.
Where I work, the school day begins at 730 am. Most get to school around 5-530 am because it's the quietest time of day to get work done. Once school begins, they often go until their 20 min break (sometimes 4-5 hours) before they even have time to use the bathroom. School is over at 215. Then they have committee meetings or extra curricular activities to coach. Some might be able to leave at 5pm. If they are a coach they are often there until 6pm or later. Then they go home and have to take care of their own lives, besides grading papers and doing lesson plans. Most teachers I know go into their classrooms every weekend, usually on a Sunday afternoon. Vacations and days off...sure, school is closed for winter break for two weeks...for the kids. Most teachers are back.in their classrooms after Christmas, getting ready for the new term. Summers? Required classes, professional development, and preparation for the new school year take up.most of it. If they get three weeks off, out of the 12 weeks, they are lucky. Do you think they make enough money for working what is on average a 50-60 hour week? Teachers in my area average about $50,000/year. I would say no. Add to that, they are dealing with learning disabilities, behavioral issues in kids. Ever increasing and changing teaching requirements. So you begrudge them a gift card to Starbucks? Merry Christmas, Ebenezer. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

On 11/23/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 11/23/2014 Reever said: These people have very good jobs, pensions and an inordinate amount of days off. I do not give them any gifts. Sorry if I sound like an old tim curmudgeon but they make more money than I do and no one gives me a gift for doing my job.

I wonder why.

Hahaha!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I vote for the notes & cards. Want to go the extra mile? Send the teacher's principal or superintendent an email or call to let them know how much you appreciate the teacher's efforts.

Esteemed Contributor

Please have a Blessed Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas. I hope someone says something nice to you doing this holiday season.