Respected Contributor

Re: Teacher Gifts??? Got good ideas?

I think gift cards are welcome presents. I give a card to a local convenience store chain we all love here in the Mid Atlantic. I get such happy phone calls after mailing the birthday card. They can use the card for gasoline, hoagies, snacks or coffee. If you don't have such a chain nearby, there are Amazon cards, Target cards, Starbucks cards (which I use less, because not everyone has a Starbucks or likes them) or there are Home Depot cards, Lowes cards, you name it.

Someone always needs something and the card is a happy little treat. Because you don't really know the teacher all that well, and because the teacher gets all kinds of little things, the card can really stand out as a gift. I started giving out cards for birthdays and I get nothing but cheerful thank yous.

Occasional Contributor

Mindy D...love your post!!! Made me smile! I love to hear that you love that wonderful stuff, I think that is where a lot of "children's thoughts are" to make homemade food, ornaments, etc. I suppose with ornaments, my son always thought , " she will have it forever" .."..we did make Pioneer Woman's homemade cinnamon rolls one year and they were a Huge hit! I know they were because upon returning to school after break, we made more, at everyone's request. I guess it's all so hard to think after reading comments, if a parent and child, makes something, craft, or baked good, or just gives the wrong thing to these precious teachers, you'd hate to think it goes in the trash. Or you disappointed our hard working teachers with the wrong gift. We all work hard for what we have and it's just a thank you. To those that asked, my children do not go to public school, so we are allowed to bring gifts. Even if my kids went to public, we celebrate CHRISTMAS, and from Texas, you my friend, are getting a gift.
Honored Contributor

On 11/23/2014 missy1 said:
On 11/23/2014 happygal said:

People think teachers get off work at 3:30 and relax the whole summer, but it isn't true. They work so very hard, take work home, buy things with their own money, have extra committee assignments at school, after-school staff meetings, stay in at recess and after school to help a struggling child or meet with parents, arrive at school early, and much more. As for summer, it takes that long to recouperate physically and mentally from the school year, and many teachers do summer projects, teach summer school, and even enter their classrooms to work up the plans for the coming year, water plants, tend to classroom pets, and so forth. Seriously, it is grueling. Edited to add: back-breaking clean-up after 30 kids doing a messy art project or science experiment.

Don't give teachers "stuff" like mugs, ornaments, "#1 Teacher" doo-dads. Best received are gift cards, food. It doesn't have to be expensive, and be sure to include a card at least signed by the child and even a note from the child.

I know teachers who ask the kids for no gifts, but bring a gift for a family the classroom adopts or bring pet supplies for the local animal shelter.

People don't understand. It's not like they work 7-4, and clock out. There's so much to do, on your own time. The teachers here start off around 30,000. Sure they are overpaid. LOL

As a non teaching, but heavily volunteering parent, I can tell you that for the most part, teachers 'work' as much or more hours during the year as any other full time plus employee.

My son attended private school for 10 years, and a small one. The pay was below the 'excessively overpaid' public school teachers in our area, the benefits less. Yet these dedicated people gave countless hours to develop and implement very academically advanced curriculum and go the extra mile. They went on overnight camping trips with the kids twice a year, sleeping on the cold hard ground, and hiking and canoeing, regardless of the weather. They stayed after, came in early, spent their summers developing new programs, stayed after for science fairs, concerts, plays, etc. They missed lots of time with their own families to support and encourage our students.

I think one reason so many don't respect the work that teachers do is that in your typical public school system today, the parents are pretty much not present. Whether the system prefers it or the parents can't/don't participate, they miss what is going on in the classroom on a daily basis. I was so very fortunate to be in the school building on an almost daily basis doing anything from assisting in the classroom to working the lunchroom, to working the various fundraising projects and book fairs. If you aren't there, and don't develop a close relationship with the staff, you really don't get the picture of what is going on both during the school day and after.

Yes, there are those teachers that just get by, like in all professions, you have your achievers and you have your slackers. I'd suggest that anyone who thinks the job is a piece of cake get into the school, work along side the people you entrust your children/grandchildren to on a daily basis, and see if your opinion doesn't change.

Oh, and climbing down off my soap box, and to answer the OP's question, most teachers really do want things for the class room. So a gift card to somewhere that sells grade appropriate things is the nicest. At our school, at least elementary and junior high, they liked to have their own classroom libraries, and would put a wish list at the Scholastic Book Fair, and greatly appreciated if you would buy something from their wish list.

Occasional Contributor

That's a great idea too...I will ask about a wish list for classrooms. That way a contribution to what they may need for the classroom might help. Wonderful idea! We are at a new school this year and it's much different than our last private school. This is why I wanted to ask the question about what to give. You see at our last school, we were handed a notebook from every teacher with all of their likes and dislikes for gifts. One year, each family for a Christmas present pitched in to remodel a kitchen for a teacher. I thought that was a bit extreme! Yes, I appreciate you, but must we spend that kind of money. Oh yes, we all had to pitch in! So, this school is a bit more laid back and I have no "likes or dislikes " to go off of....ha! Thanks so much again for all the comments! I think we have all gotten some wonderful ideas!
Honored Contributor

On 12/3/2014 Cricket12 said: That's a great idea too...I will ask about a wish list for classrooms. That way a contribution to what they may need for the classroom might help. Wonderful idea! We are at a new school this year and it's much different than our last private school. This is why I wanted to ask the question about what to give. You see at our last school, we were handed a notebook from every teacher with all of their likes and dislikes for gifts. One year, each family for a Christmas present pitched in to remodel a kitchen for a teacher. I thought that was a bit extreme! Yes, I appreciate you, but must we spend that kind of money. Oh yes, we all had to pitch in! So, this school is a bit more laid back and I have no "likes or dislikes " to go off of....ha! Thanks so much again for all the comments! I think we have all gotten some wonderful ideas!

Holy cow! A kitchen remodel???!!!! I don't even want to know how much of a donation that required! Even if it was only some new paint, curtains and a 'face lift" it would be an outrageous thing to expect from any group of parents.

Best wishes for a great holiday season!

Super Contributor

Gift cards are great and appreciated. Anything that says "teacher" on it is not. I would not give an ornament, as you do not know what the teacher's color scheme is for her tree. TaylorBrown mentioned giving her children's teachers a little flashlight that goes on a key chain and a small tube of hand cream. Those are nice neutral gifts. A really great pen would be an idea. I've recently started using Pentel pens with gel ink, (.7 mm line) and I absolutely love them. The following can be found at office supply stores for about $10 (pkg. of 3).

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Occasional Contributor

Mominohio.... Yes, I wish it would have been a few curtains, etc. haha! It was totally outrageous to do that and we will never do that again! Blessings to you, and have a wonderful holiday season!!
Esteemed Contributor

I used to give all the things mentioned on the 'no no' list- I thought bath and body products were great but not according to these threads over the years! The last few years of giving teachers holiday gifts, I gave nice wall calendars. My kids would tell me about their teachers interests and I'd get a specific themed ones. My kids would add a note of thanks on the calendar cover, so it was personalized as well.

Occasional Visitor

As a teacher, my favorite our the thank you notes. Another good idea are books for the classroom library, like "My Busy Week" for a primary grade teacher. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0692277617/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_1BXGub0MPX2EA