Occasional Contributor

Re: Teacher Gifts??? Got good ideas?

I just want to say again, thank you for the great responses, it helps so much to get feedback on what to get our teachers for all their hard work. No, I could never give them the world, but, just a kind gesture from my heart, and more importantly from my children, no matter what their age, is a special thing. To the person that wrote such a mean comment, which I just saw when reading all of these. How truly sad that you feel that way about our teachers. Maybe you don't have children, if you do, well, I'll leave it at that. My kids, since they were little, would draw a picture, or make something, and put their teachers name on it, and drag it to school, and proudly give it to their teacher, not to me. I got other things you see, but, the teacher crafts were the other special gifts. I would see the teachers smile on their faces, and the love they had for each of their kiddos in their classes thru the years. So, as parents and as kids, they put those teachers on Christmas lists. They don't look at how much money they make, if they have summers off, which they don't, if I'm getting a gift or not, that doesn't matter, it's to say, I appreciate you. Period. No matter what that gift may be. I just appreciate you. That's what it's really all about. That's how I look at life in general. I wish someone could give you a gift, so that maybe you could see the compassion and love from another, and that you should never expect something in return. Blessings!
Frequent Contributor

How about some lottery tickets?

Honored Contributor

Some school districts do not permit these.

Honored Contributor

How about a Dyson or a Vitamix? The Q would recommend both of these for teacher gifts.

Trusted Contributor

This year for Christmas, my children's teachers are getting a flashlight that can go on their keychain and a small tube of hand cream with a handwitten note.

Honored Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Bungo said:

Some school districts do not permit these.

I think that's a good policy. Even if they were a good idea (and I think they aren't), not all families can afford teacher gifts. Rather than make a child feel left out because he/she didn't gift the teacher, better to forbid monetary gifts altogether. Any good teacher would appreciate a hand-written note or card as much, if not more, than a monetary gift. Still, for those compelled to give, perhaps the school could set up a fund to help the neediest children and accept donations in honor of beloved teachers.

Super Contributor

My DH was a HS shop teacher for many years. I always remember that one year he was given a plate of plain homemade dinner rolls at Christmas. They were delicious and inspired me to bake similar gifts for the teachers in our 4 kid's school. I don't care what the job (teacher, nurse, librarian, minister, etc) everyone likes to be appreciated/remembered. . .I try to celebrate with those who are special in my family's life!

Valued Contributor

A couple years ago, I got each one of my son's teachers a small 'lucky bamboo plant'. I put it in a cute (inexpensive) pot with some pretty rocks. Tied a thank you note on it and was done! They loved them!

BTW, yes, SOME teachers get paid handsomely, but working in a school, I know they put in way more hours then they get credit for. Please, even if it's a simple thank you note, help you kids teachers feel appreciated. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Super Contributor

On 11/23/2014 Reever said: These people have very good jobs, pensions and an inordinate amount of days off. I do not give them any gifts. Sorry if I sound like an old tim curmudgeon but they make more money than I do and no one gives me a gift for doing my job.
I'll just assume this is a joke?? Thanking your child's teachers at the Holiday time isn't about how much (if any) money you spend. It's about showing your appreciation for all of the time they have spent teaching your child. It's not a time to think about yourself and what you have/don't have. Teachers spend more hours with our children during the school days than parents do and it's a tough, tough job. I guess some people never learned basic common courtesy & manners. Maybe some people should learn what The Golden Rule is vs. a me, me, me attitude. I am way more happy to give than receive. My favorite is giving anonymously.
Contributor

On 11/23/2014 Reever said: These people have very good jobs, pensions and an inordinate amount of days off. I do not give them any gifts. Sorry if I sound like an old tim curmudgeon but they make more money than I do and no one gives me a gift for doing my job.
Pensions? Last I checked teachers didnt receive a pension unless working for a state school. I have several close friends who are teachers and I assure you they are not making huge salaries. They are however spending at least 9 to 10 hrs a day at school not to mention prep time at home after school and on weekends. They also do not get paid during the summer! I personally appreciate my childs teachers and all the work they put into teaching him, many, many things. Have you ever spent time in a classroom of 21 plus children?? I have, let me tell you as much as I enjoy volunteering in my childs classroom, it is exhausting!! It takes a very special person to be a teacher and I personally do what I can to show it, not just at Christmas but throughout the year by buying supplies for the classroom. Trust me when I say that nobody appreciates what I do everyday but that doesnt stop me from trying to make others feel appreciated.