Honored Contributor

Where did the time go? It seems like yesterday I was changing diapers and now my son purchased a phone for her so she could call for safety sake. Yeah, right?

She's been texting me after school, at night when she's supposed to be asleep and of course to all her friends who also have phones are texting fools!

Anyone else see the years going by too quickly?

Super Contributor

Re: TEXTING WITH GRANDDAUGHTER

I often say it now takes me twice as long to do what used to take me half as much time! Just last night I took some quiet time to reflect on this house lol. It caught me by surprise actually, when I simply glanced up at a beautiful wreath I have owned for a couple of decades and have no desire to replace.  I looked up at what used to be a place the kids would call down for this or that, a brief discussion, permission for this or that, or who was doing what to whom. Now that same area is no longer brightened by chatter, bickering, or laughter. It now holds the memories of all the wonderful years we spent here. So my short answer is definitely a yes. My long answer would be that reflection OF the years that have gone by so quickly DOES bring about a warm sense of accomplishment FOR all those years gone by and what was done by us all in that time. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@OneHappyHiker Thanks for a beautiful and heartfelt post.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  Oh, don't get me started with time slipping away! But it's great that your granddaughter enjoys texting with you. I tend to just get brief replies when I text words of encouragement or "way to go" to my grandchildren when they have a win or an accomplishment. Savor the moments.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Shanus  Oh, don't get me started with time slipping away! But it's great that your granddaughter enjoys texting with you. I tend to just get brief replies when I text words of encouragement or "way to go" to my grandchildren when they have a win or an accomplishment. Savor the moments.

@PA Mom-mom   So true, but I usually text, "I know you're really busy, but when you have a minute.....".  Sometimes I get more than a few words back. 

Esteemed Contributor

my baby granddaughter...now 17....just texted me.....she's stopping by with an iced coffee for me.....time does fly......

Honored Contributor

@nana59   That's so thoughtful of her.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@nana59   That's so thoughtful of her.

thank you.......i'm very grateful..all my grandkids are thoughtful....i tell them they make me breathe....3 girls....one boy.....

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Where do I begin dear friend. 

I was the 28 year old that cried with every step because even though my son was growing by walking, every step was a step away from me.  No one understood the light tears and faulted me for them.

At his age now, I thank our Maker for every breath he takes having survived all of the unbelievable things he did as a teen that made me shudder and tremble, and forced me to make decisions that saved his life.

The younger son was sooooo... gentle without the brother's strength.

A protector of animals and and the weak, he had a persona that called others to him.  It  upset him that road side brush would be cleaned up because they protected animal's homes.  At 10 years old, he was the one I saw in that thought, the one that I would hold on to and yet lose in a wreck.

Our survinging son and daughter-in-love are very careful about their two son's cell phones and every single thing they do and watch.  I watch them as well and they come to me very often.

The world is different from what ours was.  Still our world was different from our parent's world.

I have to have faith that they will be strong and go forward.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG   Your post is so touching. We do need to hold on to our kids, but still teach them to fly and leave the nest, hopefully with all our teachings.

So very sorry for the loss of your son...traumatic for sure. When my younger brother passed away unexpectedly,  a portion of my parent's hearts died, too and they were never the same. 

I do hope you and DH have been able to find some peace.