Respected Contributor

My daughter is in middle school now.  She has 8 teachers (that's including PE and homeroom).  If you have a middle school child, do you buy Christmas gifts for all of them?  Is it expected?  Is it the norm to do so?  TIA!

Super Contributor

No, it is not expected.  When they are young, and have 1 teacher, maybe.

Trusted Contributor

I used to buy for the teachers.  I would buy a candle and a handcream, or a picture frame, things that they can USE...I would limit it to like 10.00 per gift, small gift bag, let your little one write in a blank xmas card, you maybe can write a special note saying how special the teacher is to your child, and thats it.  Not expected but appreciated for sure, especially these days.

Respected Contributor

I think this is a regional thing. Find out what your neighbors do.

Respected Contributor

My son-in-law teaches in a high school and I know that every year he gets a gift from maybe 5 students (he doesn’t expect a gift from any of his students).  My granddaughter is in middle school and I don’t think that she buys gifts for her teachers.  So in our area I think the teacher gift giving mostly ends at elementary school but there are a few that still do. 

Esteemed Contributor

I used to buy teacher gifts when my son was in elementary school & had one teacher. Once he got to middle school I stopped.He went from one teacher to 8.

Respected Contributor

Believe me, all the "friend" teacher I have say .... "Oh goodness, those teacher's gifts, not again."  There are so many candles & ornaments a teacher can use especially after 22 kids x years of teaching.

A gift certificate to Subway $10, Pizza Hut, etc. is what they really want~!

Trusted Contributor

My son's a teacher, his wife is a MS guidance  counselor and if they get a $5 gift card to Dunkin, Subway or even a local convenience store, even a bag of Hershey's kisses, they are thrilled.  The candles or lotions  are not enjoyed  due to allergies.  Neither one of them expects a gift nor are they disappointed if they don't receive a student gift.  Money is tight for families and they are well aware of that.  But, if you feel that you must, keep it small. 

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Esteemed Contributor

I am a retired teacher and with all sincerity we do not expect gifts. But when we get them it is so appreciated. I personally liked gift cards to Target or Walmart or Staples because I can get supplies there for the classroom. We always need pencils, glue, Kleenex, paper etc etc so these gift cards are the way to go. Even hand sanitizer and Kleenex was a very appreciated gift! Teachers get less and less to supply the room, my last year we got 12 pencils and 2 pens for the year! So trust me any gift card they can buy supplies is sooooo appreciated. Happy Holidays! 

Esteemed Contributor

DS and DDIL are both middle school teachers. Gifts are NOT expected. They get a few small things (wrapped candy, ornaments).

They would greatly appreciate a short, hand written card (original artwork optional) with a personal note of gratitude and appreciation written by your child. A good habit to develop in a child of middle school age. I suggest allowing an artistic child to make their own stationery and copy it on to card stock for cards. Alternatively, allow him/her to choose their own personal stationery note cards to use for thank you notes and holiday greeting cards. 

SO much better than playing the can-you-top-this game with $$$ teacher gifts.