Esteemed Contributor

Re: Suggestions for infant books..

DS & DIL requested "Taco Tuesday" for their newborn. It's DIL favorite book  So I got it and

"I loved you before you were born"

on Amazon I just searched for infant books. I buy the cardboard books.  I bought a bunch.

Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey   Thank you for your suggestion - and mentioning the 'board books'...I saw those listed on Amazon and had no idea what they were talking about - or if it was better / worse than the hardbacked books.   

Respected Contributor

Here are some books that my daughters loved when they were 0-1 year old.

Where is the Baby's Belly Button by Karen Katz (a lift the flap book).

Moo Ba La La La by Sandra Boynton

Good Night Gorilla by Peggy Rathman

New Contributor

Hello, There are some great ideas offered from other posters!  I have given “taggie” books as gifts and received big thank you‘s!

The book is from Spearmint LOVE and called Taggies Lamb Soft Book “Sherbet’s Silly Farm”.  It is very tactile and really cute. Have fun shopping. 

Trusted Contributor

@sarahpanda  Sandra Boynton has written dozens of board books that are so humorous.  My grandgaughter will be 3 soon and she still loves the.  So do I, and I am, well, not 3.   They rhyme ,which is good for those young ears.  I am a kindergarten teacher. of 44 years.

Honored Contributor

For an infant I would get a fabric book that is washable.

Honored Contributor

Both of our sons loved Goodnight Moon.  As they grow, they can look for the mouse in the picture.  It's so cute to see their anticipation when the page turns.

You can order it from walmart.  I'd definately get the hard copy.

Goodnight Moon (Board Book)

Super Contributor

I suggest any book by Mo Willems! Board books are nice for when the baby becomes a toddler and needs something sturdy, but having books that a baby can grow into is nice, too.

Honored Contributor

I second, third, and fourth Goodnight, Moon! As a teacher I started reading this to my children when they were 3 months old. Eventually they would read it to me! I have given this to every new mom I know. 

There are others we like. I  like the duck and goose board books. We have given these too. I sent the seasonal ones to our new great-nephews a few years ago.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Look into all of the Karen Katz books.  Where is Baby's...? Whenever I am invited to a Baby Shower, I make sure to give a good amount of these books as a gift. There are basic ones and holiday ones as well.  They are all lift the flap books.  I read them from the time my girls were born (they are now 6 & 9).  In fact, my 9 year old loves them so much that she is making me store them for when she has children.  She said they give her happy memories.  That's really saying something!

My girls also adored the Llama Llama books by Anna Dewdney.  She recently passed away, but the series is still being written in her style.  You can't go wrong with her originals though.  Some include: Llama Llama Red Pajama, Llama Llama Mad at Mama, Llama Llama Time to Share and so many more!  They are simple books that rhyme with great pictures for little ones to relate to. My 6 year old still reads them.

Mo Willems books are great too, but I do feel they are more for school-aged children.  He has some fun characters (Pigeon, Elephant, and PIggie).Little ones love the simple text in these and you can't go wrong with starting someone with a collection for those.  Knuffle Bunny is a classic for any age.

I also agree with Sandra Boynton books.  Those are board books (like the Karen Katz books) that are so much fun for little ones.  I used to read Pajama Time! to my little ones almost every night before bed.  A popular request!

I also started my girls on non-fiction books from the time they were very young as well.  Anything with simple text and pictures that show farm animals, ocean animals, pets, colors, shapes, different types of vehicles,  etc. are always great for little ones.  They have sound books that allow children to hear the sound an animal makes.  My girls loved those as well.

You can find all of these types of books on Amazon by just typing in the author's name or "sound books" for those as well.  Anything you give will be greatly appreciated.  There's nothing better than starting off a baby with a beautiful collection of books.