Trusted Contributor

Sudden death of a child ... but trying to stay away from a 'friend' ...

On Monday a toxic friends 50 year old Son died.  Five months ago he was found unconcious and foaming at the mouth.  After 24 hours - and his Son flying in from the West Coast - he made a miraculous recovery.

This event was blamed on sleep apnea.  However this man does a history of pill abuse and was in recovery a few years ago.  His ex-wife/roommmate lives wi

th him.  Her Muslim Husband died 3 years - he 'died in his sleep'.  He also had a problem with pills.

So now - at the same residence which claimed the life two men - we are wondering if the Medical Examiner will look further into these deaths.

In the meantime - I WAS friends/confident of the Mom of the man who died.  I say WAS because the relationship became toxic.  

Now that the Son has passed - I feel like I should call her - but I do not want to resume a relationship with her.  I feel so bad - and I feel like I abandoned her ... we where very close but I 'ghosted' her - NOW THIS.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Sudden death of a child ... but trying to stay away from a 'friend' ...

No need to engage in conversation with her, send a sympathty card and she will know you are thinking about her.  If she calls you don't have to answer.

Esteemed Contributor

Let's see...you say she's toxic.

You didn't say anything nice about the son.

If you "abandoned" her you had a reason.

You don't want to resume a relationship with her.

What do YOU think you should do? 

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

Stepping away from someone who is toxic is not abandoning them.  It's self-preservation.

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Trusted Contributor

I will get her a card and some flowers when she returns to her job - which is the receptionist where I live.

She and her Son where very very close.  I am close with my Son too, but not to the extent she depended on her Son.  

Tonight  I went to meet another neighbor in the Lobby where I live and she was on the phone with my close girlfriend/neighbor I was going to dinner with. She asked the neighbor if anyone else was standing around .... and my fellow diner said NO.  

I just take myself back to the vapid life-sucking moments with her and I feel better.  Card, plant and a wave when she is working.

I lost a best friend/ex husband (yep) and it took the life out of me.   I cannot imagine her grief ... but then I just need to think back ...

Esteemed Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

I will get her a card and some flowers when she returns to her job - which is the receptionist where I live.

She and her Son where very very close.  I am close with my Son too, but not to the extent she depended on her Son.  

Tonight  I went to meet another neighbor in the Lobby where I live and she was on the phone with my close girlfriend/neighbor I was going to dinner with. She asked the neighbor if anyone else was standing around .... and my fellow diner said NO.  

I just take myself back to the vapid life-sucking moments with her and I feel better.  Card, plant and a wave when she is working.

I lost a best friend/ex husband (yep) and it took the life out of me.   I cannot imagine her grief ... but then I just need to think back ...

Just the card.....more than that would be sending her the wrong message.....

Trusted Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@sktchy wrote:

Just the card.....more than that would be sending her the wrong message.....

True/I agree - I just want her to return to being the receptionist and I will just be a resident.  

Respected Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

On Monday a toxic friends 50 year old Son died.  Five months ago he was found unconcious and foaming at the mouth.  After 24 hours - and his Son flying in from the West Coast - he made a miraculous recovery.

This event was blamed on sleep apnea.  However this man does a history of pill abuse and was in recovery a few years ago.  His ex-wife/roommmate lives wi

th him.  Her Muslim Husband died 3 years - he 'died in his sleep'.  He also had a problem with pills.

So now - at the same residence which claimed the life two men - we are wondering if the Medical Examiner will look further into these deaths.

In the meantime - I WAS friends/confident of the Mom of the man who died.  I say WAS because the relationship became toxic.  

Now that the Son has passed - I feel like I should call her - but I do not want to resume a relationship with her.  I feel so bad - and I feel like I abandoned her ... we where very close but I 'ghosted' her - NOW THIS.

My son died unexpectedly at age 15.  I appreciated all the lovely cards I got during this sad time.  I didn't have any expectations of those who sent them either.  I was too busy grieving.  Send a card. 

Respected Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@sktchy wrote:

My son died unexpectedly at age 15.  I appreciated all the lovely cards I got during this sad time.  I didn't have any expectations of those who sent them either.  I was too busy grieving.  Send a card. 

I'm sorry about the loss of your son, fortune.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder