Contributor

So sad when your child is sick....

My litttle girl who is two  has a fever and is just now feeling well. We took her to her Dr. Yesterday and they said  it was viral, no flu, and she looked good , as to not a lot of other symptoms just a fever. Her Dr. said it could be roseola, and we would have to wait and see. As a mother it's truly the worst seeing your baby ill and not herself. Thanks for reading this.

Trusted Contributor

Re: So sad when your child is sick....

It's very scary for a parent when your child gets sick, for me now it's grandchildren. I don't know what's worse. I was at the Zoo yesterday with my gd. It was raining an cold. There was a lady there with her coat on nursing her baby in just pj's. I felt like going over to her and saying,, " your baby doesn't have a coat or even a blanket wrapped around her so why don't you take your coat off. Sorry of topic, I guess I'm still upset.

Respected Contributor

The worry never ends.  Whether your child is  2 or 42 and then there's grandchildren.  So much joy and hopefully little sadness.

Valued Contributor

The only thing worse then one sick kid is two sick kids.  We have two sons and sometimes they would both be sick at the same time.

Honored Contributor

It never ends, no matter how youg or old our kids are, we still suffer when they are sick.  If it hurts them, it hurts us.  The thing to remember is that this is just the beginning kids get fevers more often than adults do.  It's normal when they have cold and since they have immature immune systems, they pick all sorts of benign viral illnesses.  Which is actually a good thing, their bodies are building up immunities.  Roseola is actually a minor viral illness.  A fever and usually a red flush that lasts a couple of days and then it's over.  When your doc said "wait and see"; it's that red flush he's waiting for that means roseola.  For what it's worth, the flu is a viral illness as is roseola.  All strains of the flu are viral but not all viral illnesses are the flu. 

Honored Contributor

@acesmom79I know very well.  In addition to rearing our two sons, I became the "fix all" for a high school of 1400!  LOL!!!

This is a time for you to make popsickes by freezing juice with suspended fruit pieces in paper cups with sticks.  You can also build houses with graham crackers and peanutbutter.  She may eat that.  

Or, add a little food coloring to a small amount of pancake mix in a measuring cup with a spout.  Put the colored portion in the pan first.  A few drops for the eyes, nose, and a smile mouth.   Let it cook for a minute and pour on the regular mix over the "features"  When you flip it, you'll have a face!.  Or, let her drizzle a pancake with chopped banana with just enough chocolate syrup to see.  Then you control the syrup. 

Best of luck!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I so hope it is not Roseola measles that was the worst time of being a mother in all my 33 years of being Mom.  He was 13 months old and got a low grade fever and did not feel well so I took him in.  His Dr. said we would have to wait and see if it was R.M. or chicken pox.  That night his fever went to 105 and his eyes were rolling.  We got him in the tub and got fever down to 103 so he would keep down Tylenol liquid.  Talked to the Dr. throughout the night and we did not have to make the 40 min. trip to the hospital.  I stayed up all night while he would only sleep in my arms.  The next day he was back to a reasonable fever and the R.M. dots appeared.  But he was so unhappy.  Not itching just so miserable and irritable.  Nothing could make him happy for the next 24 hrs.  Not even sugar.  Hang in there. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

One of my sons had ear infections when he was young. Painfull. I would give him a baby aspirin plow into his pillow and had him put his ear on it----it was warm. Got into bed with him and hugged him until he fell asleep. He is the best!

Regular Contributor

@acesmom79 wrote:

My litttle girl who is two  has a fever and is just now feeling well. We took her to her Dr. Yesterday and they said  it was viral, no flu, and she looked good , as to not a lot of other symptoms just a fever. Her Dr. said it could be roseola, and we would have to wait and see. As a mother it's truly the worst seeing your baby ill and not herself. Thanks for reading this.

@acesmom79....My son, (now 27) had roseola when he was a baby....only about a year old.    I remember being frightened as well...especially when he ran a fever.  Please know that he will be fine..and a fever is the body's immune system "working" to fight off infections....He will be fine.  Unfortuntely, there will be many viral infections to come as he grows....as this is "normal", especially during school years.  It's something we will never "like", but have to accept when we have children...And, like the other posters have said....we will worry about our children regardless of age...Whether they are 2 or 102!!!  It goes with the "territory" of being a parent..and grandparent....

Wishing you the Best...Bohemian Gal

Respected Contributor

How true! I'd much rather be the patient! I watched both my babies have hernia repair surgeries! My dd was 9 mos for her first operation. She spent three nights in hospital, which was a blessing for me! I was scared to death to care for her afterward! My ds was 3 months when they did both sides for his hernias! He came home that day! I was terrified I would harm his incision in some way! So cruel to send an infant home that way! My dd had to return at 5 for her other side! On the way to recovery they let me ride the elevator with her! She was just coming out if the anesthesia and began convulsing! I thought she was dieing and the doc seemed unmoved by it! I found out it was a normal reaction, but I didn't know it! Doctors need to understand mother's worry! We need a little TLC, too, when our kids are sick! I hope your dd is feeling well now! It prob was Roseola! That's how it acts! Good luck and God bless!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.