Honored Contributor

Re: Secular Baby Dedications

Yes, it could be lovely.  Or it could be another "made for Facebook" events that crop up today.  There are some to reveal whether it's a girl or a boy, and some that associated with weddings.  There are many "me" events now that one is invited to attend.

I don't know the OP's couple, so I am not targeting this at them.  Like I said, it may be lovely.  I'm not commenting on them in particular; but just on a lot of what I see on facebook. 

Esteemed Contributor

When I was an infant, my parents had me baptized as a Presbyterian, but as I grew up, let me discover my own spiritual path.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

My church does dedications and saves the traditional baptism until the child becomes the age of awareness, usually anywhere from age 10 up.

The dedication ceremony also calls on the church body to accept the responsibility of assisting the parents in Bible teaching & mentoring.

It's what you make it.

@henderson wrote:

Yes, I've been at baby dedications.  Held at Christian churches where parents are invited up on the stage and the parents and babies are prayed over.  This is a ceremony and a comittment for the parents to dedicate their children to God and raise them in a godly home.  Because many Christians don't believe in infant baptism, this is something we do.  I think it's a recent thing as it wasn't done when I was a child or my children were babies. 

These kind of ceremonies are not what I would call secular. In my mind it would be the parents and others declaring their dedication to the child and all it's needs.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

You know the scene in The Lion King where the father holds up his newborn to the heavens?

I'm thinking there must be cultures and belief systems for a type of baby dedication ceremony that aren't typical organized religion.

There are a lot of Pagans in America now, and they have a lot of celebrations involving nature and the earth.  I can see something like that working for a baby dedication.

Honored Contributor