Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: School supply rant! Warning: it's long!

It's how the money is pegged to be spent.  At one of the schools DD attended, there was a large amount of money for iPads, software, etc., for the ESL kids.  None of the English-speaking kids were allowed to touch any of it.  Those kids got to take all the latest and greatest technology home while our kids didn't get a thing to use.  No money for copy paper, etc., but those kids got it all.  So while all the district money went to them, the rest of us, or those who could, supplied the copy paper, Kleenex, etc., for our child's class. 

Frequent Contributor

We had a superintendent once that would not allow schools to give students a supply list to bring supplies with them to school. He said education is supposed to be free and we all pay taxes for that.  I once worked for a school district in an adminstrative office of a career education department. We allotted federal/state money designated for career education supply/equipment money to teachers according to student count and parents nor teachers needed to pay for anything out of their pocket. Our department kept receipts and we knew what the money was spent on. I never heard of any complaints about our teachers having to buy supplies.  I am not sure if it's still done this way since I haven't worked there in a while, but this is the way funding should be allocated/spent by superintendents.

Honored Contributor

I remember when I was a child during the dark ages, all we did on the first day of school was show up.  All supplies were provided.  I'm not sure when or why schools got away from providing essentials for the kids.  Maybe if the cut back on football, they still could.

When I student taught in the 60s, as an art ed major, in the elementary schools we serviced several schools.  The art teacher had a large locked walk-in closet in each location which was crammed floor to ceiling with art supplies.  The kids wanted for nothing.

i think it's a travesty that teachers are expected to subsidize the needs of their students.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Children are expensive period. yes it is everyone's right to have children....having a home, car, all things you can choose to have.  But you better consider the cost. Do not expect others to pay for your child's school needs.  

Contributor

I will say up front, that I am a teacher in an inner city. 

I am a bit astounded by some of the responses here.  I am noticing some of the outrage is towards the teachers of your children.  If the district or town is not providing enough supplies for your child, then many of you feel that the teacher should have to purchase the supplies because they make a good salary? So, rather than purchase your own child's supplies, from YOUR earnings, you believe that the teacher should have to purchase your child's (and the 25 or more other students in the class) supplies from his or her salary??!!!! 

i believe some parents may need to truly think about what you are saying here. Perhaps, as one response stated, you need to ask your district why they are not providing the classrooms and teachers with the supplies they need to support your child's education. Let's not blame the teachers for lack of supplies.  We would LOVE to have everything for every child. However, since we do not, we look to the parent.  I am sure that each of you would give anything you could to support our child's education.  Are some pencils, paper, erasers and maybe a glue stick or two really a big deal? 

Teachers are highly educated, and their salaries are based on their education and years of experience. Please respect the profession and the salary we have EARNED just as you do other professionals. We love what we do, and we love our students, and sometimes we need your financial support as much as we need your academic support.

Respected Contributor

@MacKA  Teachers have not "earned" retirement in their 50s or earlier.  They have not "earned" solid-gold health insurance paid for by taxpayers whose own insurance is much less generous.  The fact is that they have earned none of that and they do not contribute sufficient money to fund such unsustainable forced "generosity."  The system will collapse in the years to come.  It has already happened in a number of cities (California) where the contract terms were generous beyond the people's ability to pay.  Teaching is an immensely important job, and teachers deserve good pay, but what they have is unsustainable.  Time will show that to be true.

Contributor

Ms. X, with all due respect, we pay for our own pensions.  We must teach 35 years or more to get a decent percentage of that retirement.  We also pay for our own health insurance after retirement.  I am in Connecticut, so things  could certainly be different where you are.

Lastly, my point was that, because we have gone to college, and beyond, we have certainly earned our salary.  We are paid as a professional should be paid, and, because of our salaries, it should not be expected that we pay for the school supplies of our students.  Although, most of us do, because we truly love what we do.  

I truly appreciate your comment that we need good teachers, and good teachers should be paid for what they do. 

Honored Contributor

Bless all teachers who put so much of their own money into their students and classrooms. It is something that most teachers do, and they shouldn't have to.

The next time Q is trying to sell you a candle or a doo dad for 'the teacher, the bus driver, the cafeteria lady', how about just give your kid's teacher a $5 or $10 Walmart gift card. If every parent that was going to gift a teacher would do that, it would help out so much.

As for people complaining about school supply lists, my son was in private school for 10 years, and their list was usually triple (not exaggerating here) what most of our area's public school supply lists were.

My contention was that with more and better supplies, the kids were going to be able to do more, and hopefully learn more. Our lists included a lot of art type supplies in addition to the 'regular' stuff and the tissue, wipes, dry erase markers etc. I was always glad to supply whatever the teacher wanted.

I realize that many people have a hard time affording so many supplies, especially when they have several children, but basic supplies are so cheap here at back to school time, many of them just 25 cents or 50 cents each.  People need to budget for these really inexpensive items. And I think some teachers ask for so many of a given item, because they know some will bring less or none, and there will be enough for everyone, when others fulfill their list completely.

For those struggling with back to school costs, there are a lot of ways to economize. I used to shop all summer at thrift stores for good used clothing. We did not have uniforms or 'campus wear' and I could have a nice selection of things ready for back to school, and no one ever knew most of his clothing was second hand.

I have donated to those 'stuff the bus' type drives, and the ones that our church holds, for back to school supplies, but it bothers me because I personally know people making six figures (here that is a lot of money) who, because it is free and no one asks for income verification, get all their kids supplies from these charities for nothing. 

I don't think most school systems have the budget for supplying kids with all their supplies these days, and I don't expect them to do it. Parents (for the most part) need to put down the phones, make cuts to non discretionary spending in cable, technology, eating out etc. and make their kid's education (and it's supplies) a top priority. 

Respected Contributor

@MacKA wrote:

Ms. X, with all due respect, we pay for our own pensions.  We must teach 35 years or more to get a decent percentage of that retirement.  We also pay for our own health insurance after retirement.  I am in Connecticut, so things  could certainly be different where you are.

Lastly, my point was that, because we have gone to college, and beyond, we have certainly earned our salary.  We are paid as a professional should be paid, and, because of our salaries, it should not be expected that we pay for the school supplies of our students.  Although, most of us do, because we truly love what we do.  

I truly appreciate your comment that we need good teachers, and good teachers should be paid for what they do. 

What you pay does not fund your benefits and retirement, @MacKA.  That's why in some cities they have literally stopped paying pensions.  The people cannot afford to pay for it all.  As this becomes more commonplace, and it will, we'll take you up on your assertion that you've funded all this.  They will have the accountants do the calculations and you will, indeed, get what you fund.  Trust me, it will not be retirement in your 50s, an uncommonly generous health plan for life, and all the rest.  Just wait and see. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cannot quite figure out the reason for your post.

First, you complain about the teachers and cost of supplies. Teachers are so underpaid, as you say, if they start at 56,000!  Yet, they routinely take money out of their own pockets to buy supplies for the classroom and for kids who show up for school without what they need, for whatever reason. Buying your share is helping everyone. Adding an occasional Walmart or office store gift certificate for the teacher would help, I 'm sure. 

Second, you complain about your local school's lunch program, rightly worrying about kids who might not get enough to eat. Talk to the principal or school board about it.

did I miss anything?