Honored Contributor

Re: School help; parent or teacher

There's no harm in trying online, she can always go back to in school if it doesn't work out. It will provide an experience for her and that's a good thing. My neighbor's daughter who's in sixth grade tried it but her mother had to constantly be after her to do her assignments so she's back in regular classes. 

Honored Contributor

Re: School help; parent or teacher

@januarybaby If your daughter has a documented medical/mental issue, she will qualify for the federal program Home and Hospital which every state in the country MUST offer to any child in any grade.

This program offers two options: Home tutors via the BOE that work directly with the teachers and student services to teach the course that is being offered at the same time at your daughters' school. Tests are given at home, homework is graded by the teacher who comes to your home; your child does not need to go to school at all. 

To qualify, you will need to contact your student service department and speak with your daughters guidance counselor. Tell the ONLY the bare minimum; they don't need to know everything. You and her doctor/s will have to fill out forms and supply them to the counselor. They will hire a tutor (usually a retired teacher who only does this now) and the schedule is set up between your family and the tutor.

I know everything there is about this program as I've had to use it for 2 of my children; one on a short time basis as he was out due to surgery, complications from surgery and then recovery so he lost a semester of school time and one for my eldest who, due to an accident just before entering 8th grade, was hospitalized and then rendered bed-ridden going forward. At 16, he earned his GED. He tutor was FANTASTIC in making that happen for him.

It's a wonderful program. I sincerely hope it works out for you and your daughter. Hugs.