Frequent Contributor

School help; parent or teacher

I am looking for information from a parent or teacher who may have expierence with on line Virtual School. Not home schooling. I have a daughter who will be a Senior come Fall and because of health/anxiety issues feel it may be best to explore the Virtual course.

There is so much information on line I do not know where to begin. She presently attends a private High School and I presently prefer not to disclose this information.

Respected Contributor

Re: School help; parent or teacher

@januarybaby

I would suggest going on their website and checking for parent information sessions. It can bew a great alternative for some students.I think the main problem that I have seen is when the student is not self motivated and does not turn in assignments. There have been students that have done awesome as well. I understand not wanting to get into specifics but that may limit the value of the information that you get here. In my area you have to scedule an interview to discuss the difference from traditional school. In general there is not as much assistance for special needs students. I can think of two students with significan school anxiety issues that attended the virtual school. One of them blossomed and went to college. The other one did not do well and got frustrated and quit. I am not saying this is your child. I am giving an example of two children with anxiety issues.

Make a list of your daughters academic strengths and weaknesses. Make a list of your questions and concerns. Fill in your answers at your interview. In general, the students that read close to grade level do better. It helps if they are able to work independently on assignments as well.

Best wishes

doxie 

Respected Contributor

@januarybaby. My daughter had the same problem in her senior year. The district provided a home bound tutor for the year. No one asked questions and we didn’t offer information. The only people who knew had to and were not allowed to discuss it with anyone. 

Respected Contributor

@panda1234

Hello panda!  She said she is interested in a virtual school and not home schooling so I am not sure she would be satisfied with home bound.

doxie

Honored Contributor

In my area of West Virginia, the county stopped providing homebound instruction and ramped up the alternative school program.   Students enrolled in this program, find and complete their class work online, which is graded by the teachers hired for this special program.  Our county does not have virtual classroom studies available.   

You must contact your local Board of Education to find out options available to your daughter if she is not medically capable of attending public school. 

Respected Contributor

Hello Januarybaby,

My first thought is to hope that your daughter is doing well and that if she knows that you, her mother, are concerned and have her best interests at heart, that may be a start to relieve some of her anxiety.

Being a teenager today can be very challenging, especially with peer pressure, social media, academic requirements, and trying to plan for an unknown future. 

You daughter is old enough to be a part of the school research effort with you, and this could be an excellent learning experience for her. Think of it as an adventure of exploration that will be a precursor to the next stage of her life after high school.

The two of you should look at the diffferent online programs available together, discuss what looks interesting and what is not clear, review courses and schedules, ask questions, schedule a virtual visit, hear from currently enrolled students and parents, and seek to understand what special resources will be available for a senior student. Your daughter may also want to consider seeking out schools that have partnerships with colleges or universities so she can earn advance higher education credits. As your child is in her final year of school, it is important that she not only have the opportunity to excel in her studies, but that she also enjoys the schooling experience.

Therefore, inquire what social opportunities are potentially offered so your daughter could expand her horizons, such as being on the online school newspaper or yearbook staff, competing in science fairs, and so forth. 

I wish you well in this journey and I am sending many positive thoughts and blessings to you and your daughter.

Honored Contributor

My dad taught his whole life.  He's never been a fan of online school.  Kids miss out on interaction and learning is limited to what they see and do online, not the discussions, laughter, etc, that organically happen in a classroom.  

Being in a classroom and experiencing all that happens there helps prepare kids for the future, whether it's university, 2 year school, trade school, or job.  No one can hide from people if they want to make it in this world.

Is your child receiving therapy?  IMO, that's more important than online school.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You're going to have to work with the school on this, I don't think there's any way around it if you want them to give her a diploma.  She has to satisfy their criteria.  I don't know about your school system but kids do attend those virtual online schools for a variety of reasons.  First, I would go to the school's website.  I have no doubt that there is a wealth of information for you there, they probably tell you what steps to take to enroll your child.  If you still need help, write down all your questions and then call them.  They have to have a customer service line.  After that, when make an a appointment with the headmaster (not a teacher) to discuss what clases she should take to satisfy graduation requirements.  I don't think you can do this without talking to the school.  

Respected Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

@panda1234

Hello panda!  She said she is interested in a virtual school and not home schooling so I am not sure she would be satisfied with home bound.

doxie

I totally understand @doxie. I wish both of you the best, it is a difficult road.

Respected Contributor

Some school districts have their own virtual classes. My sister-in-law works in a district that has online classes. There, students go in with parents to a certain high school and fill out some forms. They have a choice of using their own computers or checking one out. Students only go back to the "virtual" high school to take semester exams. Extra-curricular clubs and activities are also offered, and even sports through a diffferent district high school. It might be worth your while to check your own school district first. Here, my own child took health, P.E., and French1 in summer after 8th grade to free-up time to take more credits and STEM classes at the IB high school.