Respected Contributor

Re: Saying Goodbye During this Pandemic

If your daughter would like to go over & say goodbye, no touching is needed...an air kiss & hug will do, that'll make a nice memory. Be well.

Respected Contributor

Do Skype they can “see” each other anytime. Why would you take a chance especially when a baby is involved. A quick hug can give many people the virus. If people do not follow the rules, this virus will never go away. Don’t be selfish.

Respected Contributor

????????  This is so much to question about this post. 

I'm assumming DD is an adult....but it sounds like she is treated like a 10 year old...and perhaps for good reason.

Should you LET her??????  Do you make all her decisions for her?  Does she watch the news?  Is she aware of what can happen if she brings the virus home to others?  Does she think the death of you or your DH is worth a hug from her friend?  Does she realize that this pandemic will not last forever and we live in a global world.  The only goodbye that is forever is death.  She will be able to visit her friend in the future. 

Sorry to be harsh, but it sounds like your DD should be spending her time looking for her place so she can become an adult when this is over. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe the girls can meet in the middle for a Girl's Weekend after this is over.

I would certainly know the number of virus cases in your surrounding area.  Does the young family live near a county line or work in another county?

If you are in a hot zone, to expose the young mother could cause problems for the baby as the other poster said.

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

????????  This is so much to question about this post. 

I'm assumming DD is an adult....but it sounds like she is treated like a 10 year old...and perhaps for good reason.

Should you LET her??????  Do you make all her decisions for her?  Does she watch the news?  Is she aware of what can happen if she brings the virus home to others?  Does she think the death of you or your DH is worth a hug from her friend?  Does she realize that this pandemic will not last forever and we live in a global world.  The only goodbye that is forever is death.  She will be able to visit her friend in the future. 

Sorry to be harsh, but it sounds like your DD should be spending her time looking for her place so she can become an adult when this is over. 

@Travone - As I said before, when I used the word "let," I explained what I meant. I used the wrong word. I certainly don't prevent DD from doing anything. She is an ADULT, who by the way is not treated like a 10-year old, who has her own life and makes her own decisions. She and I discussed this, and that's what I meant. She knows.

She's a smart girl who has given up a lot to help us here with different things and is also serving in our community by helping online. And in my next post, you will see what happened. Like many she is not currently working (office closed) and is staying here. SHE was close enough to come home; DS is far away and stuck in an apartment by himself. 

There will be an end to this, and we can all get back to our normal lives. 

Honored Contributor

UPDATE: Thank you everyone for your good thoughts and your advice. It's so hard to know sometimes what to do with this "new world," and I have a lot to learn. I think we all do. 

DD went to a nice restaurant yesterday and did a curbside pickup lunch for her and her friend. Her friend lived in a house with a lot of land and a huge yard. She set up two TV trays in the yard facing each other from 6 feet away. When DD got there they ate lunch outside together and talked. Once the baby woke up, her friend set him in his carrier on the ground next to her. THANK goodness it was a nice day here, and not too cold! 

I went over, pulled in the driveway, walked around the side of the house and got to "hug" her from a distance and blow a kiss. I took a picture of the two of them far apart. Then I left.

DD's actually handling things better than I thought she would. When she came in the door I gave her a hug. They were back to texting each other shortly after. Her friend's husband packed up his truck, the U Haul, and her SUV last night. DD saw him; he was gone while I was there, so I didn't. They left today. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A wave from the street is all I'd do.

*edited to add that I read of the outcome and they came up with a good solution*

Trusted Contributor

So many people are doing Drive By parties now for birthdays.  Maybe your daughter could do that.  Stand in front of her friends house with a Good By banner.  I know it would be hard to not get close to her friend but it would give her some type of closure before her friend leaves.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 If you scroll up a bit from your post you will see that a solution was found.

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom 

Dear beach-mom,

I am so very sorry this is happening to your daughter, especially at this time.  Having read 2 or 3 replies, I stopped, because they were all negative and I don't believe that is warranted in all cases.  Here my opinion, for what it's worth.  (I do have a nearly 40 year background in healthcare, which includes a stint as an RN, Administrator and Head of surgical training at a major medical military training command.)

Here's my take.  If I were in your shoes I'd first make as assessment of my state's morbidity (infection statistics) and mortality (death) rate.  Also, take a look at "The COVID Tracking Project," which has a map of the U.S., with the states colored in shades of red and pink according to density of infection and death rates.  You're probably already familiar with this.  If not, if can be found daily on the Fox News website and I find it very helpful, because if you input your zip code, you can get your state's statistics.  For example, I live in Oregon, so right now we have 2,059 sick with the virus and 78 have died thus far.  These numbers are not at all bad.  I wouldn't hesitate to allow my daughter visit her friend for a visit and huge hugs, under these circumstances.

You really need to have a decent grip on your local/county numbers.  Once you have these in hand, you can make an informed decision.  If you live in New York, hands down my answer would be "No."  Just do some homework and please don't take all of the negative answers here be your guide.

This infection rate pales in comparison to what I went through in the Fall of '68 and Spring of '69.  The infection numbers were astronomical and deaths caused by pneumonia really stacked up - absolutely dwarfing what's occurring now.  This is not meant to sway your decision.  It's meant to bring things into clearer view, as the public's present view of this virus has been swayed by many factors I am unable to display here.

Please sit down with your daughter and make this an opportunity for both of you to come to a conclusion together.  Let this not fall on your shoulders alone.

God Bless you both with a good and fair outcome.