Honored Contributor

Re: Sad that this starts at 5 yrs old......

It starts with making fun of a shirt, so if that's ok and should be shrugged off then what happens when it leads to making fun of physical features, weight, etc? Because that's what bullies do, they start with "smaller" things and see what they can get away with.

I don't have kids but I happen to think five year olds should not be making fun of each other's clothing. I understand kids will be that way sometimes, but it doesn't take much time as a parent to teach them why they shouldn't be.

I still remember to this day being made fun of on the school bus by two girls for a pair of pants I was wearing. And that was decades ago. These things stay with you, expecially if you're a sensitive kid and or adult. We are not all cut from the same cloth.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@BohemianGal Your poor son! I don't think public school is a fit place for any child nowadays.

If I had a child now, I'd have to homeschool it.

Honored Contributor

Conversation and discussion is necessary and I hope the mother did just that with her child on the way home.

I've head the same from my boys at one time or another. After talking about while cooking or during a drive, I would find out that it wasn't "all the kids" but 1 or 2 (and being an involved parent in the school, you know what kids are troublemakers... oh yes you do). Then you find out what was said "he said it looked dumb".."he didn't like the color", etc.

Do YOU think it looks dumb? Do YOU like the color? If so, then what THEY say means NOTHING. Why give them the control? In fact, if it happens again ( and it will), look at them and say "So?" or "What?". Nothing else. Just keep repeating it. It stops because the REACTION is what they want. 

Now, at 5, this is a bit much (the response especially) but it shows that they have no power over you unless you allow it and you're not going to allow it. 

If it involved physical (and yes, I've had 2 of my children attacked and injured while at school and in both situations, I took action ASAP legally) you jump on it without waiting. But sometimes you need ALL the information when a child says "so and so said something mean to me". Why? It may not be exactly what the child said when all the facts are found out.

Regular Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

It starts with making fun of a shirt, so if that's ok and should be shrugged off then what happens when it leads to making fun of physical features, weight, etc? Because that's what bullies do, they start with "smaller" things and see what they can get away with.

I don't have kids but I happen to think five year olds should not be making fun of each other's clothing. I understand kids will be that way sometimes, but it doesn't take much time as a parent to teach them why they shouldn't be.

I still remember to this day being made fun of on the school bus by two girls for a pair of pants I was wearing. And that was decades ago. These things stay with you, expecially if you're a sensitive kid and or adult. We are not all cut from the same cloth.

@Greeneyedlady21...You are so right.  What you said "mirrors" what I said in my post.  Yes, it does start with "small things" and then progresses. That is how it started with my dear son when he was 5....and turned into a 13 year nightmare....Like you, my son is extremely sensitive by nature, so it really "scarred" him.  ..

Also, I take it you have "green eyes"...I've always thought they were the most beautiful of any color eyesHeart 

Regular Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@BohemianGal Your poor son! I don't think public school is a fit place for any child nowadays.

If I had a child now, I'd have to homeschool it.

@YorkieonmyPillow.....Yes, it was horrible.  And, we did consider home schooling, as we thought it might be the answer to the problem. However, he didn't want to be isolated and had already made several close freinds in school.  Also, being an "only child", school presented an opportunity for him to socialize with other children his age.  And, he LOVES people in general.  Has a wondeful "gift" in connecting to others. He graduated from college with a degree in marketing and advertising. His present job (entry level) is in sales for a large Home Improvement Corp.   

Honored Contributor

I told my son that when someone tries to make you feel bad it is because they don't feel very good about themselves.They see that you have happiness and they try to take it from you.It is your choice to give it up or not.My son wet the bed until he was close to six years and one morning his friends stopped by early and found his diaper that had not been tossed yet.They were ready to start the teasing but when asked if that diaper was his,he picked it up and threw it at them and replied " yea so smell it" I thought oh poor kid he will hear about this at school but nothing.He was not ashamed so they couldn't use it against him.I think it is important to teach our children self esteem and that will protect them from the verbal bullies.

Esteemed Contributor

This isn't bullying. It's a good lesson to teach the child that what others say about them doesn't matter. Teach your child that what's important is they are good human beings. If they like what they are wearing it doesn't matter what others say. To say this is bullying is really ridiculous. No wonder are kids are turning into wimps.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

I told my son that when someone tries to make you feel bad it is because they don't feel very good about themselves.They see that you have happiness and they try to take it from you.It is your choice to give it up or not.My son wet the bed until he was close to six years and one morning his friends stopped by early and found his diaper that had not been tossed yet.They were ready to start the teasing but when asked if that diaper was his,he picked it up and threw it at them and replied " yea so smell it" I thought oh poor kid he will hear about this at school but nothing.He was not ashamed so they couldn't use it against him.I think it is important to teach our children self esteem and that will protect them from the verbal bullies.

This is excellent.

Respected Contributor

Yes, it's normal, but may not be bullying! My grand was 6 and forgot her lunch box. I was taking her to school and said I'd get her a brown paper lunch bag. She got upset with me, telling me her best friend would make fun of her! Most kids that age are very sensative to what other kids say to and about them. It's a good time for the mother to teach the child not to care as much about what others think as long as they are happy with themselves! I would not make the child wear what he didn't want to school but suggest that the beloved sweater could be worn other places!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

This isn't bullying. It's a good lesson to teach the child that what others say about them doesn't matter. Teach your child that what's important is they are good human beings. If they like what they are wearing it doesn't matter what others say. To say this is bullying is really ridiculous. No wonder are kids are turning into wimps.

@ccassaday  ITA!  This stuff went on back when I was a kid.  It is nothing new. It is also part of life. It is  learning to handle different situations, and people.  Life is not always kind.